TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Flight. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Question Would you rather...? - November 14th 2013, 06:08 AM

If you were the CEO or manager of a company, would you rather employ someone who has hardly any experience but has a University degree or someone who has 10, 15, 20 years experience but with no qualifications besides a High School Diploma?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Would you rather...? - November 14th 2013, 10:10 AM

That really depends a lot on the field, and the individuals.

If you're talking about a professional occupation, then there are often mandatory requirements for registration in that field which are generally a university degree. However, you'll also find clauses about equivalent experience.

If I was hiring someone today, then I'd be looking for the skills to do the job. Often that comes more from experience than a degree, but you've got to give newly qualified people a chance as well.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Would you rather...? - November 14th 2013, 03:33 PM

I guess it depends on the job and whether or not the university degree would be helpful to them but I'd probably say the person with the most experience but as said, you need to give people new to that type of work a chance as well to gain experience so I'd also base it on how they come across too and if I felt they'd be suited for such a job.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Would you rather...? - November 15th 2013, 10:33 AM

I agree with Charlie, here. It depends on the job that they will be doing, as well as the individual. Everyone has to start somewhere so I wouldn't automatically write off the person with the university degree, but someone with that much experience probably is good if they've stayed in the job that long. So it'd depend how they come off to me.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Would you rather...? - November 15th 2013, 09:54 PM

What I've heard done at my mom's workplace is that they will hire those without the degree but offer them less than the ones with the degrees and certs behind their names.

Also, in nursing there is a balance between having a BSN/MSN and more experienced nurses. If you don't have experience, getting hired is really tough. Most will still prefer to hire experienced RNs with an associate degree over the new BSNs. However, new associate degree or diploma nurses find themselves struggling for hospital jobs.

Then some will never make it past the HR department because they do not have the degree.

Also, rarely does the CEO hire anyone. It is usually a manager who gets resumes sent over from the HR department.

My boyfriend makes a lot of money because of his navy experience.

Closed Thread