TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TweeBeard Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Musician? - November 24th 2013, 04:18 PM

Hi guys I would appreciate some help with this

Earlier this month I finished my exams that will probably get me into University that will lead to a degree in law. I say probably because I didn't find the exams too hard and I know that I'm smart enough to get into Uni and do these courses that I have applied for.

My problem is that I want to be a musician, like really really want to. I've only played guitar for a year but according to other people I am quite good and have picked it up pretty quickly (although I know I have like heaps and heaps still to learn). I'm also an okay singer and write lyrics and when I muck around with my guitar I can make melodies that sound actually pretty good (they do to me anyway aha).

I don't know if trying to form a rock band and then trying to make money with said band is a good idea though. My dad tried to be a musician and he failed pretty miserably so I am scared that if a try to be a musician I will fail like he did. On top of that I don't know how to tell my mum about this. I think she would be a bit disappointed which is understandable given how it turned out for my dad.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Most Likely Offline
Avete vos
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: -

Re: Musician? - November 24th 2013, 05:45 PM

Give it a try. Talk to some of your friends, maybe some of them play instruments as well. Maybe gather them for a talk, a practice or two and see if you have potential. You're the only one who can determine if you succeed or not. Eagerness and passion (as long as they'll last through the failures you will encounter) is the core of success.

One useful tip : don't be like "im gonna be famous and make money". You don't start like this. It has to start from the fact that you simply love music and want to create it. Like, you play, sing and after some time you notice you're pretty good at it and you see you can start making money on it. Not start a band IN ORDER TO make money on it.

Who dares - wins.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Most Likely 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Musician? - November 24th 2013, 06:32 PM

Hello there, I don't see any harm in starting a band with your friends and dong music right now. There's nothing wrong with wanting to make money doing something that you love, but the chances of making it big and being rich off of it, as I'm sure you know, are unlikely.

Since you've already applied to law school, I would suggest getting the degree in law, at least as a back up plan and having music as your hobby while you're doing that. You'll need something fun to do and it will help deal with the stress. That way you have something to fall back on if music doesn't work out. And if it does, having legal knowledge will help you in the music business.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Closed Thread