TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
2Snowflake2 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Should I stay or leave? - December 19th 2013, 10:58 PM

I've been in my current job now for a few months but I am likely to be sacked.
Reason why I'm likely to be sacked is because I'm not confident enough. I work in retail which involves a lot of talking to customers. I'm a quiet person, I applied for the job to gain confidences, facing my fear of approaching strangers. So far this job has helped me a lot. When I started I couldn't greet customers. Now however I'm able to help customers, let alone greet them. I fine with till work, that for me is the easy part.

Unfortunately this is not enough for me to keep the job. The last month for me has been hell, I've been under so much pressure. Been told I could be sacked, been given warnings, blah. I've been told that I need to be more confident towards customers, I need to start conversations with them, have a chat with them, a laugh, and help them more. I'm trying my very hardest to do this, but it's never enough.
I have been given a warning for not saying "Is there anything in particular that you are after?" To help customers I offer them help by asking "Would you like any help?" and, "Are you ok there?"
I believe that the warning I was given was very unfair, and petty.
Last month I was told of for not saying Madam, for not complimenting the garments, offering garments, answering the telephone. I am now doing all these things but my manager is not satisfied (He told me recently.) Everyday I go into work he is always telling my off about something or other and threatening me with the sack.
The other day the area manager mentioned something about getting rid of me. I hate going into work because of this, in the past I use to love going to work. Oh how things change so quickly.
To be honest, a lot of customers these days hate being spoken to.

Since I have started this job I have come a very long way and I am proud of myself for what I have achieved. I don't want to leave as I love the job, I really do enjoy helping customers, which if you asked me a year ago I was petrified to work in retail. I understand it wouldn't be a good idea to leave as I will then be unemployed. But I do not want to get the sack either as then I will never be able to get another job. I am currently looking for another job but there is nothing out there. I don't know what to do.

What I really want to do is quit this job and get a job working in a cattery. I love cats.

P.S I'm new to this so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum

Last edited by Chris; December 20th 2013 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Moved to Education & Careers forum.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: Should I stay or leave? - December 21st 2013, 06:14 PM

Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation! First of all, I know that deciding whether or not to quit a job can be a difficult decision, and ultimately it's up to you. I would make a list of things you like about working there, and things you don't like about working there. You said that you love this job, so I don't think you should give up on it yet. I would give it another chance and talk to your manager about working through your problem areas. I know it might feel like you're being treated unfairly, but if your manager wants you to talk to customers in certain ways, try it and see what happens.

It might also help if you talk to some of your coworkers and get advice from them and observe how they talk and treat customers. You can learn a lot from observing them and you can ask for tips as well. If your manager sees you putting in the effort to stay there and be more confident it might help a lot.

If you decide that it's not for you, continue looking for a job before you quit. It's not smart to quit without having a back up job, because it can be very difficult to find a job.

I hope this helps a bit. I really hope everything works out. Good luck!

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Should I stay or leave? - December 21st 2013, 07:26 PM

Hello, and welcome to TeenHelp!

There are plenty of retail jobs that won't require you to do so much (like saying "madam" and complimenting the garments). It sounds like your boss is a bit of a jerk, and he's not able or willing to see how much you've improved. By all means, continue to search for other jobs! If you like cats, then consider applying for retail positions that involve cats (e.g., PetSmart and Petco). You may feel more confident about interacting with customers if you're somewhat familiar or passionate about the products the store is trying to sell. =)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
2Snowflake2 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

December 21st 2013, 07:29 PM

Thanks.
I'm trying my best but my manager isn't satisfied. I'm not very confident and he knows this. I have watched my co workers and I try to say this things that they say to the customers, however sometimes the words don't come out.
A couple of days ago I thought I was doing really well, I spoke to manager about it and he said that he wasn't satisfied which knocked my confidence a bit.
I feel that I have improved in the last month. But he still gives me warnings.
I know I can't just leave, but I don't want to be sacked. I'm looking for new jobs as well as trying to improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post
Hello, and welcome to TeenHelp!

There are plenty of retail jobs that won't require you to do so much (like saying "madam" and complimenting the garments). It sounds like your boss is a bit of a jerk, and he's not able or willing to see how much you've improved. By all means, continue to search for other jobs! If you like cats, then consider applying for retail positions that involve cats (e.g., PetSmart and Petco). You may feel more confident about interacting with customers if you're somewhat familiar or passionate about the products the store is trying to sell. =)
Thanks. I'm looking for other retail jobs, but at the moment there isn't much out there. I travel by bus (Learning to drive) so I'm limited to places. A while back I applied for a job at a pet shop but I never heard back, so annoying.

Yesterday I was working with my supervisor and she seemed to realize that I have improved. She said that she happy with the way I'm talking to customers. This was a big boost for me. I just wish my manager would notice my improvement as well, it sucks.

I do love working there, everyone is nice to me and I like helping the customers. I don't want to leave but if I don't leave soon, I could be sacked.

Last edited by PSY; December 23rd 2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.

Closed Thread