TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   I really don't want to work there anymore (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t130024-i-really-dont-want-work-there-anymore/)

SamMarie April 6th 2014 04:06 AM

I really don't want to work there anymore

I currently work 2 jobs now. I've been working part-time at a personal care home for over a year and I'm fine with working every other weekend for it. Well, a couple weeks ago I was down on myself and didn't want to pursue Nursing anymore and decided to switch my major to Healthcare Management in college. I believe it's a better fit for me.

At the time, I thought I was going to lose my financial aid, but it turns out I'm not losing any at all. But, while I was thinking that I was going to lose the money, my friend told me about a part-time Sales Associate position at RadioShack and so I thought I should just apply and go for it because I "needed" the money. Of course, anybody could use extra money, but I don't really need a second job now. My personal care home job is fine with me.

I already turned down my friend the first time about the position when I said I would try it out and then after second thoughts, I told him I would actually apply. So, I did and because he's close with the hiring manager, he vouched for me. I went to a group interview and I ended up getting the job.

I have to go through training now to learn about all these electronics especially cell phones since that's what RadioShack's best sell is. But, I really don't want to continue with this job any further. I don't really know what to tell my friend, the manager, etc. I already posted on Facebook that I got the job and a lot of my friends/family know about this position. What should I do? How do I end it?

Amorphous. April 10th 2014 09:50 PM

Re: I really don't want to work there anymore

Let me tell you now, Sam, it is going to much easier ending it now than when you have been working there for two months and you start developing friends and stuff there, because then it is not personal, it's just a hiring decision and there's no risk of it being personal.

Nobody needs a second job and if you're going to be working there exhausted and fatigued from your other job, your boss would prefer someone who can work one job awesomely and efficiently, rather than someone who is going to be worn out quickly by a second job.

And I am not second guessing you but it is human nature, a second job is going to smash you. So how should you end it? As quickly as possible and as formally as possible. Go the manager's office and let them know your concerns, so there's no risk of it being seen as personal.

If your friend asks you, just tell them your concerns and they really should understand. But with that being said, you don't have to tell anyone the fact and why, certainly not relatives on Facebook, so you have a right to keep some things to yourself, but if you put the actual decision off, it's going to much less smooth.

Good luck, Sam! :hug:.

P.S. Make sure you know you're doing this for sure and subsequently, for the other people involved like your boss or whatever. If you feel you're going to be affected by having a second job, then that's a decision you're making for YOU, do you know what I mean? ^.^.