TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

Generalised Job Searching. - April 27th 2014, 12:15 PM

A very good evening ladies and gentlemen, my name is Hamed Khatiz and I am an eighteen year old student from Sydney and unofficial world record holder for the worst choice of thread title LOL.

The title tells you absolutely nothing, but I just wanted to ask you guys about some job searching techniques and one of the ones I heard of is going to the manager and showing him your resume and asking him:

"Are there any jobs based on what you see in my resume that you think would suit me and if so, I would love an application or even a direct contract."

I actually completely made that up LOL but is that a thing, if I go to a manager and ask him to look at my resume and see whether there is anything under his multitude of roles that he may be interested in, would he look at me and consider calling the police like I am a madman?

I mean here's my issue. I have never been to an interview, so there is obviously something wrong with my resume (which I actually doubt, I have a significantly professional resume, although there is no experience on it, other than TH Volunteering) or my application technique is amiss where I am looking in the wrong places.

So if I hand someone my resume and ask them to have a look and see what roles they may be able to hire me with or get me to apply for, that I would be suited in, that might actually work.

Do people do this and how can I improve my application technique and make sure I am not shooting myself in the foot, by literally shooting on the wrong place altogether.

Sincerely,

Hamed Khatiz.

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SpecterH Offline
Average Joe

Name: Harvey S.

Re: Generalised Job Searching. - April 28th 2014, 05:37 PM

Unfortunately, when it comes to jobs, you kind of have to be at the right place at the right time. You can start by looking at company's that are hiring. Typically, restaurants and retail stores will broadcast (i.e., signs, newspaper advertisements, etc.) that they are hiring, and some even have a Job Fair. This is a great way to, not only be exposed to potential employment opportunities, but it'll provide you with the experience to engage in an interview; experience that is highly valuable.

It's likely that you'll experience quite a bit of rejection before you find employment; that's natural. It's probably more beneficial (than hurtful) for you to go to workplaces in person in order to speak to managers about potential employment opportunities. It can be a bit intimidating, sure, and there will likely be a lot of times when you will be turned down. But, talking to the managers shows initiative - and they appreciate that.

However, most companies do a lot of their hiring via their online, corporate websites. So, even if you go, in person, to talk to the managers, they will likely direct you to apply via their online websites. This makes things difficult, but not impossible. Don't give up. It's usually easier to bypass the "corporate hiring and red tape" if you apply to smaller companies that aren't necessarily chains (i.e., some small restaurants). So, you might want to look into that - at least, to start.

Good luck.

Harvey Specter
Don't play the odds, play the man.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Generalised Job Searching. - April 28th 2014, 08:25 PM

Well, some places won't even look at the resumes. Every job I've worked at I applied online with the exception of a handful that do not have online applications. Some may even be annoyed by people who do go in and ask about job opportunities.

They require you to apply online. I would apply to everywhere including fast food and grocery stores just to start getting work experience. Drawing experiences from customer service helped a lot. I actually used a few experiences when I started working in a hospital till I had enough examples from healthcare to answer those questions.

I would honestly start writing down street names and think of all the stores on that block. Then try to find store websites for them and see if they list their jobs online. Then apply. If they do not, write down the name of that business and after you have all the shops you can think of on that street, consider scheduling a road trip to see if you can get a job.

Also, any friends or family members that work anywhere see if you can put them down as a reference.

List any special skills you may have even if it is customer service.

Closed Thread