TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Writing a speech... - May 13th 2014, 01:50 PM

My guidance counselor told me today that it's more than likely that I will have to make a speech as valedictorian, as long as I stay in my current class rank.

So she wants me to start getting ideas...

Help? What makes a good speech and what important things can I include?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: Writing a speech... - May 13th 2014, 03:33 PM

Hi Dez!

Well, for one, the atmosphere is going to be super emotional, and there will be quite a bit of tears, so maybe you could talk about not the things you'll are leaving behind, but the things you are taking with you - good friends, memories, dreams, and the like, and in a sense, the beginning of a new chapter of sorts.
Talk about how the institution has helped you grow and what it has taught you, if it has. Be honest. Lol. And well, I guess try to then turn it into something you can identify as a group, meaning, it's not just about what you've experienced, but what you've been through as a class. for example, there are people who don't want to leave school and those who really want to get out into the world and are ready for it. Try to encompass it all, what the different groups of people think.

One thing you could do, is start of with maybe a small story of what it is being a student, or a relationship between a teacher and student, or friends. Something that pretty much grabs the attention of the other students. An inspirational, or rather a knowledgeable story of sorts. Or even something funny, something about yourself. Just stick to who you are and how you write and speak.

Definitely thank the people who have been a part of your journey, friends, family(of all the students), staff. Maybe even little jokes and such that you and your friends have shared. but keep this part short since it's about the entire class and not just "your speech", you know?

Focus both on memories made in the past and ones that will be made in the future. I remember saving a page I read a year ago or so, on valedictory speeches. This is the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/29/ny...anted=all&_r=0

And here's another one, which I really loved: https://divinecosmos.com/start-here/...on-speech-ever

Hope this helps
Happy writing

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Writing a speech... - May 14th 2014, 02:51 AM

Not much to add there on the speech writing part But, important that it's in your voice and that you speak as yourself. Don't just copy someone else's speech, or get someone to write it for you. Needs to come from you, and be honest for you.

The other thing - write it early, and practice practice practice. Work at it in front of the mirror, in front of pets, family, friends, anyone! Also see if you can get a chance to practice with the microphone, it makes a difference.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Writing a speech... - May 18th 2014, 05:07 PM

Jesus, this is hard. .-. I came up with a few ideas but nothing is flowing smoothly. How do I make things FLOW?
And nothing sounds good or inspirational either. I'm about ready to say I don't want to do it.

This is what I have so far. I need to write more but have no more IDEAS. It is bad. .-. I don't even know how long this stupid thing is supposed to be.

Quote:
Thank you (whoever introduces me). Also, thank you to the esteemed faculty, staff, family, and friends who are attending Wilcox Techís class of 2014 graduation.

We made it! Sometimes it seemed as if this night wouldnít come fast enough, but we are finally here celebrating our graduation. For most of us, there were many ups and downs throughout our high school journey. We had to deal with things like the chaos of construction, performing well in our trade, and scrambling to finish homework assignments the period before they were due. However, we were able to come out on top, even stronger than we were before, and reach this point.

There were many people looking out for all of you during your time here at Wilcox, whether it was a family member, friend, or the one teacher that would never give up on you. Make sure you give them a big thank you. I personally would like to thank Mr. W. He was the type of man who would never give up on his students. He inspired me to be my best. I was motivated to achieve greatness because of him.

Most of all, give yourselves a big pat on the back for not giving up, for continuing to push through even when things are tough. Itís well worth it now. You are going to move on to bigger and better things. Iím not going to say it will always be easy, but what you have done here at Wilcox will prepare you for whatís out there. Whether you go into your trade, go to college, or aren't sure yet, you will be successful.

Last edited by Spoons; May 18th 2014 at 05:41 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Writing a speech... - May 20th 2014, 09:48 AM

I like it. Simple. To the heart. Good use of short sentences to emphasise points.

If you want to add more - add an anecdote or two. What's something that will still make people in your graduating class laugh? (Like on the camp where my class froze the deputy principal's underpants...) Ideally keep it clean but funny (and not hurtful).

One or two of those, and it should be fine. It doesn't need to go forever, does it?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Writing a speech... - May 23rd 2014, 01:08 AM

Thanks, Mahray!

It's supposed to be 3-5 minutes long. I timed myself and got to 1:19. I don't know how much of that is me talking fast though.

Do you think I'd be able to fit this quote in anywhere? "The world is round, so the place that may seem like the end, may also be only the beginning..."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Writing a speech... - May 23rd 2014, 11:56 AM

Yes, yes, you can.

Finish one little chunk. Then say something like:

"I read an interesting quote the other day. 'The world is round, so the place that may seem like the end, may also be only the beginning'. It's fascinating because it's so true! Here's why... "

Closed Thread