TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Mr_Awesome Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: John Smith

Unhappy Is it me and/or IB? - August 21st 2014, 08:09 PM

So, it's the 4 day of school, and most everyone is acting like they don't know me, or just met me. Conversations are awkward, I haven't made many male friends and I feel like a social outcast. I can't continue a conversation, and I can't seem to make people laugh as hard as they used to, and I think I'm the problem. I'm also in IB(pre) and I feel dumb, even if we've just began, I'm stressed for the future. Maybe it's just me...can anyone help me with the insecurities, and the future school stress???

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: Is it me and/or IB? - August 22nd 2014, 12:38 AM

Hey John,

I can totally relate to you. Its totally okay for the first week of school to be kind of awkward since its been a long time and people are slowly getting back into the system of school. But trust me, I'm sure you can find friends who are just like you.

My personal favorite way of making friends at school is joining clubs or extracirricular activities in school. Since you say you are in IB, I understand that its hard to find time to participate in these. Maybe you could join a club that meets once a week or something? Or do you play any sports/instruments? There's also clubs and classes for that too.

Once the school year really starts flowing by, it'll be a lot easier and less awkward to talk. I hope this helps and wish you all the very best!

Take care,
Rishy

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Is it me and/or IB? - August 22nd 2014, 09:49 AM

Hey there,

Sometimes the first few weeks of a new year can be hard because everyone is adjusting and trying to get back into the swing of things. I think with time you will find that people will start coming around. Are there any friends you could try and reach out to?

One way you could work on meeting people is joining clubs. This can be a great way to meet people who share common interests which can really help in breaking the ice since you already know that you have something in common with that person. Usually schools have a club day so maybe if your school has one you could go around to the different booths and see what clubs would interest you.

IB classes can be intimidating. I bet there are a number of students who are feeling the exact same way as you are. If there are certain things you are struggling with maybe you could try asking a classmate for some help or you could try talking to the teacher. The teachers are almost always willing to try and help their students succeed.

I hope this helped and I am wishing you the best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Beating the odds ~
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mads

Re: Is it me and/or IB? - August 23rd 2014, 08:36 PM

I just started IB this year too feel free to message me any time about school. Though the extra work load may make it difficult to attend club meetings regularly, try your best to join new things!!

"Don't tell me you're not beautiful. You're the kind of beautiful the blind would see if we could figure out some way to give them three seconds of sight." -- Shane Koyczan

Closed Thread