TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Free Hugs Anyone? :)
Average Joe

Name: RayRay

What am I doing? - September 8th 2014, 08:42 AM

Hi guys.
Okay, so this is the first time I posted a thread in this particular section of the support forum. Mostly because when I first came on this site I was more worried about other personal things. But now this came up. I'm confused...and rather torn. I have no idea what to do with my life. Right now, I'm working in the family business - we run a general store, bakery as well as supply building materials (I don't know why you guys need to know that so not sure why I typed it but anyway). I work in the office most of the time. I started working in the business last year when I left High School. My aunt was running the office by herself and works ridiculously long hours just to keep up with the demands of such a business. I wanted to help her out, and though there's been a couple of bumps in the road, I'm doing great so far. But the thing is, I don't enjoy working here. At all. I almost kind of hate it actually. But I had no idea what to do. I'm not sure what exactly I want out of life. I mean, I THINK I'm happy where I am. But sometimes I'd look out the window and across the sea and just wonder about what else is out there. A part of me wants to stay here and just get through with doing nothing but work every day but another bigger part of me wants to travel and see the world. I want excitement and adventure, and I can't get that where I am right now. I guess if I really wanted to go, I could. But I feel like if I left, I would be abandoning my family. My grandparents worked hard to get this business to where it is today and I'm the only one of their grandchildren that is actually helping to support it. And they're so proud of me because of that. Every day it's like; "Oh we're so proud of you for working in the business", or they would say "You are your father's daughter" and "He would be so proud of you if he could see you now". They say that because my dad was the manager of the business (a freaking good manager by the way - he did almost every thing and still got more than enough sleep at night). But he passed away 3 years ago and things have been hard for us ever since.
Working in the family business wasn't something I saw myself doing when I was younger. Even now, I know it's not something I want to do for the rest of my life. But I don't want to just dump it back on my grandparents and aunt's shoulders. They're not getting any younger. I just feel like the future of our family and our business are on my shoulders. And I don't know if I can carry it, or if I even want to.
Sorry, this came out longer than I intended. But I really needed to get this off my chest. I feel like I can't talk to anyone else at the moment.
Advice? Please?

"Feel the fear and do it anyway."

"How are you going to save the world?"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: What am I doing? - September 8th 2014, 11:10 AM

Hi Grace,

No need to apologise for the length, we are all here to help!

That does sound like a difficult position to be in and it is understandable that you feel torn about your circumstance. Also, sorry to hear about your dad

You sound like you are doing very well working in the office of your familyís business but not really enjoying it much, and donít really know what else to do. Whilst it is generally ok if you donít really know what to do in life (some people are still trying to figure that out as adults!), I can see that itís causing a bit of a problem for you.

Perhaps you could take some time to really think about what you would like to do? Try researching some things that you might enjoy doing and plan how you could go about working in that area. Have you got a C.V? If not, try writing one, just listing what skills and qualities you have and what you think would make you a really great employee. Also, note down any qualifications/training and previous work experience you may have. This will help show you and future employers what your strengths are and make it easier finding a job that matches that.

Many people want to find adventure and travel the world. You could save the money you earn and carefully plan out where you would go and what you would do, and take time off work to accomplish this. Or if you want a career with travelling, there are many schemes that offer voluntary work in different countries, try searching online for these. Also, local colleges may offer courses in travel and tourism that can lead to a career in these areas.

Have you left education completely? If not, talking to your schools careers adviser can be very beneficial. Otherwise, try looking for services that offer careers advice and guidance in your local area.

Have you talked to your family about how you feel? I know it may seem hard to do that, but sometimes being honest can go a long way. They may understand how you feel, that you are young and even though you have done well in the business, you want to explore other options. Since you worry about the future of the business, you could offer (if you decide to leave) to help advertise your job so that someone else could take over from you? You could also decide on specific skills that the new person needs, and help choose who to hire? I know it wonít necessarily be an entirely family run business, but at least it ensures that the business can continue. Maybe you could talk to the other grandchildren and see if they can help?

All the best!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: What am I doing? - September 9th 2014, 05:37 AM

Can you start switching to working part-time and taking classes part-time? So that way you are doing both, helping out while looking for a different opportunity?

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Free Hugs Anyone? :)
Average Joe

Name: RayRay

Re: What am I doing? - September 11th 2014, 07:16 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, it really helped

"Feel the fear and do it anyway."

"How are you going to save the world?"

Closed Thread