TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    The Holiday Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Educational Problem #1: Rewriting peoples workt - October 18th 2014, 08:19 PM

We have to do this big assignment for one course, which is due this Tuesday. Everyone did their work as I asked for them to do it. Which is good, but I am still really frustrated.

I am very Type A - I work hard, I have specific expectations (to the point where I am picky about what I want) and I can get extremely pushy and frustrated if my perception is that others are not working as hard as myself. I'm also inclined to just do more than my fair share of work because either A) people didn't do what I wanted done quickly enough or B) I didn't trust people to do the work the way I wanted it done.

Any ways, so I have a group of 4 and I am currently editing everything so that I am compile the 3/4 sections of work into 1 document.

I am basically rewriting everything one of my group members did. I am leaving the general content/direction the same, but the writing is horrid. Which is really stupid because we are in a communications program.

The problem is that everything is extremely vague and informal and I refuse to have my name associated with the information looking how it currently currently written because the teacher won't know who did what after I submit to her.

I feel bad because I know my group members will read it too (obviously) and I don't want them to feel guilty, hurt or insulted when they realise how I was rewording a lot of stuff...

I think they would feel guilty because I planned out our entire project, told them specifically what I wanted them to do, and now I am editing it all together, so I think they'd feel guilty if I had to do even more by seriously editing their work.

They might be hurt because they'd realize how much I had to fix their writing - I don't want them thinking their work is bad, it's just that it isn't formal or "correct" enough for a real life client.

And they might be insulted because they worked hard on it, and yeah, the amount of editing I am doing probably makes it look like I thought their work wasn't good enough.... Which, to be honest, it's not, but I am not changing it to disrespect them or insult them but am changing it because I want it to be up to my standards and I want the language to be consistent.

I'm also kind of (unfairly) annoyed that I've had to do this much extra work. We have 8 courses. I have 2 assignments, 3 tests and a presentation next week and it's annoying that not everyone has the same high standards as myself when it creates extra work for myself

I mostly just need to vent... But I also didn't do a lot of group work when I did my undergraduate degree. If people have advice on how to handle this without insulting my group I would appreciate that. (I mean, obviously I have to do what I have to do - ultimately I am looking out for myself and if i have to throw them under the bus or insult them in order to do well then that's not my fault, I would never do that to someone unless I had to)

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Educational Problem #1: Rewriting peoples workt - October 19th 2014, 01:18 PM

Hey there!

I remember doing group work in university. Even though we all got on with each other, even when I was in a group with my close friends, we would still end up being frustrated by the work not being to our own standards and people leaving things last minute etc. I’m wondering if that is the point of group work though….to try to get along, even though things don’t go as planned.

It’s understandable that you would feel annoyed about having, what seems to be, extra work to do, on top of everything else. But since its group work, you shouldn’t really feel this way.

Your group may well feel a bit guilty, or annoyed, to see that you have edited things, but if you talk to them first, they may not feel so bad. Simply explain to them, that you wanted everything to ‘flow’ rather than have different sounding sections. Also, that you only changed the wording, but kept all the content and ideas. You could also ask for their opinions on the new wording, and chances are, they would probably prefer the new wording (or at least I did, when I had to group work that was edited). Don’t forget to say what was good about it though! I’m sure that they would appreciate the amount of work you have done to ensure you all get the best grade possible.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread