TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sjsh304 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Dreadful Chemistry - October 28th 2014, 10:47 AM

This is my first semester in college. Yay! My class schedule is relatively easy: history, english, psychology, speech, and then...Chem.

Now at first I thought Chemistry was going to be a breeze, that I would at least get a B in it like I do the rest of my classes with little to no effort.

Well, it proved quite the opposite. I have a D in the class which I wouldn't be terribly upset with now that I've read the syllabus and realize that if I keep it as a D it won't count for or against me on my transcript, I'll just have to retake the class. But it is keeping it there.

I don't know why but I just don't understand the concepts until I miserable fail at doing them and then looking at it. I've searched out help and even my best friend is a chemistry wiz and still I am so confused.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? How did you handle it? What advice can you give me?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Dreadful Chemistry - October 28th 2014, 11:10 AM

Hey there,

I did Chemistry when I was 17 for my AS-Levels. I chose it basically on pure sentimental value that my dad was really enthusiastic about Chemistry, and even though I wanted to be a teacher, I wanted to try to follow in my dadís footsteps too (he was ill at the time).

I struggled with Chemistry because of the amount of maths that was in it. I never trusted myself doing practicals, so those never went well either. Also, like you said, it wasnít something I could grasp, even though I did well in all my other subjects. I dropped the subject because I failed, re-sat and failed again

My advice to you is, always ask your tutor for help! When you find yourself stuck on something, take a step back, instead of getting wound up over it. Then try to start at the first point you got stuck on, and look at examples online or in a textbook to help you. It may be worthwhile spending a bit more time on your Chemistry work compared to your other subjects. Keep talking to your best friend too! And you could always chat to your Chemistry tutor about your grades, and any further help he/she could give you.

Best of luck!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BlackOpium Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Suzie

Re: Dreadful Chemistry - November 11th 2014, 10:31 AM

Hey!

Totally understand how you're feeling, I freakin hated chemistry when I had to study it. My advice would be go back to the very basics first and try to understand that and then build up to the more complex stuff you're looking at in class. Eventually little things do start to click and bit by bit it makes more sense.
Would definitely advise going to see your tutor as well though, remember they are there to help you. In the end it was my tutor that saved the day and helped me pass the class!
Good luck, don't give up you'll get there in the end

Closed Thread