TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ac135 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maddy

Trying to teach myself - October 28th 2014, 09:41 PM

I'm technically a Sophomore, but I feel like a fourth grader.

Okay so my parents don't get involved with me and my siblings' school, except for occasionally telling us to do it. And I don't even know what 'doing it' means, because I'm so un-organized. I'm the only person who has anything to do with my education, but I have little self-motivation.

So, like, I'll find some books that seem good, like a book about Grammar, or fundamental math cuz I don't understand anything, stuff like that. Then after a week I lose interest, and everything I planned fall apart. Then a month later or so I try again, and it repeats!

I'm so scared of getting to college and not knowing anything! My boss at work has asked me about my school, and wants to know if I plan on getting something called a GED? or taking an ACT test, and a bunch of stuff! And then he says that there are stuff I have to do to even apply for college, and subjects that are mandatory? I have no idea what to do! Maybe because I'm homeschooled...?

The only thing I'm good at is English/Grammar, because I write all the time, but that's it, and it's only the very basics. I hardly understand verbs and nouns and stuff, which I teach to my siblings from a book. And it's confusing, because my mom has a ton of school books and stuff, and if I ask her she'll go look for a book or something for me, or talk about signing me up for classes, but it's like she's always just expected me to teach myself. So does she care, or is she trying to shirk her parenting job?

Well. ANYways, what I'm trying to ask, is if anybody has any good ideas for a curriculum or something that I'll be able to follow on my own, or books, worksheets, whatever. I'll literally take anything! Thanks in advance!

(Btw, yeah I've tried talking to my mom... but it was awkward, and we didn't get very far...)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Trying to teach myself - October 29th 2014, 01:40 PM

Hey there,

Do you know of any particular reason as to why you are home schooled? Iím under the impression that being home schooled would include your parents actively teaching you or having a tutor come to your house, not just expecting you to get on with it yourself. According to this, there are requirements that differ from state to state.

I canít specifically recommend a curriculum since I am in the UK, but if you looked online, you may be able to find things to help you. You could do online learning/distance learning, where you follow a curriculum and have resources, and you may get a diploma out of it, but the price may be high. Though you could just look for free resources to help you too.

Again, since Iím not American I canít really help you, but looking online, a GED test is for those who left high school without a diploma, but passing the test will mean that you have the equivalent of American high school education. It may help you get a job, as employers will know what standard of education you have. More information can be found here. Similarly the ACT test, is a test to see if you are ready for college and more information can be found here.

If you arenít receiving much of an education, I would look into online classes. They may be expensive but at least you will have a curriculum to follow. Otherwise, could you talk to your mum about enrolling you into a local school? Calmly explain to her that you feel you would benefit with more structure. If not, you could write her a note explaining how you feel.

Generally, however you learn, itís important to stick to it. Perhaps you could start planning a routine. Even if you just stick to maths and English, for the time being, that would be helpful. Try to do a few hours per day, but make sure you space it out and have breaks in between. Also, it would be handy to create goals for yourself, so that you can reward yourself with something you enjoy, to keep you motivated. If you find yourself getting confused often (e.g. verbs and nouns), perhaps look for books that are simpler. Even if the recommended age is younger than you, it doesnít matter- what matters is your education, and your understanding. Try to keep it fun as well- use different coloured pens and paper for making notes. Highlighting and making mind maps are really good for memorising things. Donít forget we have a homework help thread if you want specific advice on things, and Iím always up for a chat (even though I might not be able to help with specific American things, I do want to be a teacher!)

All the best!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Trying to teach myself - October 29th 2014, 01:51 PM

Hi Maddy,
I'm sorry that your parents are not involved in your learning buy I think it is so great that you want to do things for yourself and because you are homeschooled I do believe that would be somewhat easier than if you wherein a school in which teachers didn't teach or support learning.

However, you don't have to do things alone. There are websites you can go to that are meant for homeschooled kids such as time4learning (sorry couldn't link it directly)
A second thing you can do is search for a home school co op in your town and attend some of their activities that may include field trips and such to learn history/science or just have fun and meet other homeschoolers. Many also offer classes that you can take.
Lastly I want to mention that you can go to your local public school and ask what they are currently offering for your grade level, then maybe check out those books at the library. That's if you want to be exactly on track with public school kids.
In high school I learned Algebra, geometry, algebra 2/trig and precalc as an elective. You can search up "algebra 7th grade" and build your way up. 7th grade algebra goes over basics as well as review. Another thing you can do is get a "real life math" book which has ways you can apply math to real life instead of going all theory. It may help and motivate you.
I believe you will need to apply to get a GED because most homeschooled kids will not get a high school diploma. However some kids enrolled in private school and only attend sometimes and have a deal with the school, can also get a high school diploma. Going that route sounds like a lot more parent involvement needed.
There are two exams for college entranve. The ACT and the SAT. Both need thorough practice on a daily basis and both are timed exams. Do you want to go to college? It is okay if you are not sure yet, you do have time to decide. But it sounds like your boss is asking because s/he wants you to. Think about whether YOU want to go...some people also push it off and take a "gap year" which allows them to explore their interests, volunteer, or even travel. You can also see what the requirements are for a community college, because sometimes they are less strict.

I just wanted to let you know that many people have holes in their education, including those who had gone to public school all their life. Depending on what college you go to, you may have tutoring services on campus and other resources available. One thing you can do when you are ready, is enroll in a single college class or audit (just sit and observe) to see if you like it. Many high schools offer early college programs or dual programs that allow kids to try out a college course or earn college credit so I do think you would be allowed to do something similar. That's something you can ask the homeschooling co op or a directly the community college.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Trying to teach myself - October 29th 2014, 02:07 PM

This is also a good website for curriculum and resources.
http://www.hslda.org/highschool/curriculum.asp

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Trying to teach myself - November 1st 2014, 06:45 AM

I would begin to look into whether there are public schools near you that you could go to and try to convince your parents that you want to go to a public school. Unfortunately, you really do need to have some sort of high school education.

Many universities require a standardized test called the ACT or SAT. It costs money but they view it as a way to evaluate you. Some community colleges do not require the tests to apply. The colleges I went to would also require a COMPASS test to evaluate skills.

Usually each state has their own requirements to graduate from high school. Some have tried introducing standardized tests too. There are usually so many units of math, English, science, etc that you have to earn. I don't know about the home schooling side of things.

Each university degree requires different levels of math, science, composition, etc. In the US, they try to make sure that students are "well-rounded." Hence why I took subjects like dance for my nursing bachelors degree. You will be taking some math if you choose to go to college and you will probably require to take remedial math. The remedial subjects do not count for college credit so basically you end up paying more to relearn subjects.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Trying to teach myself - November 3rd 2014, 01:18 AM

Hi Maddy.

Like Holly said there are requirements for each state regarding homeschooling. Perhaps if you feel like your parents are not teaching you well enough (or at all) you could reach out to another family member for them to talk to your parents? That way, if you wanted, you'd be able to speak them about starting public school or at least teaching you a little better. It's worth a shot.

I have a similar problem of not being able to stick to things and it can be...very difficult to deal with sometimes. I found this nifty article and it's basically what I've been doing to stick to my goals. As for teaching yourself, you could try this awesome website called Khan Academy. It's completely free to use, all you have to do is create an account and pick what classes you're currently in. There's videos for all of the material that would be covered in a public school and questions to go along with them. I use it for reviewing Math all the time.

College is easier than it sounds (so far). It's not easy completely, there's some difficult times, but it's much better than high school. I've never taken the SAT or ACT because I'm currently in Community College. All I had to take was a placement test, which was free. If you can do it, take the SAT. I've heard it's not too difficult. Even for me, I'll still have to take the SAT to get into a University, so you might as well not put it off like I have. There are some things you have to do to apply for college, which is usually an application, some letters of reference, and an essay. That's if you go straight to a four-year university. If you go to community college first, it's as easy as signing up for TeenHelp. Almost.

Definitely check out Khan Academy, I think it will help. Feel free to message me anytime if you have anymore questions about college or what you want to do.

Oliver.

ďThere is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.Ē ó Nikita Gill

Closed Thread