TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Tips for memorizing/remembering stuff for tests - November 10th 2014, 07:57 PM

I know this is probably a stupid thing to be posting about, but I am going to post this thread anyway as it may also help other people as well.

I'm currently a junior in college and you would think that by now I would know how to study for tests and all, but I know how to study for tests, it is just remembering it that is the big issue. I could start studying for a test a week before the actual test date, but when it comes time to take the test, I forget the information I studied for. I don't know if it is the way I am studying or other factors that could be contributing to this, but any help/tips would be much appreciated.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stormy Rainbow Offline
Music Lover
Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Tips for memorizing/remembering stuff for tests - November 10th 2014, 08:07 PM

I honestly can't remember shit unless it is in rhymes or a song. For my multiplication when I was learning my tutor told me this 8 and 8 went to the store to by a Nintendo 64. And that is how I remember it. I also remember how to spell Beautiful from god almighty from him saying b-e-a-u-tiful. I just have to make up songs and rhymes and then I can remember stuff I hope this helps a little.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: Tips for memorizing/remembering stuff for tests - November 10th 2014, 09:53 PM

Oh no no, not a stupid question at all. There is an art and a science to memorization. It's unfortunate that sometimes all we can do to ace the exam is to memorize, rather than having all of the knowledge hard-wired in us.

When I need to memorize, I'll come up with acronyms. You know, like PEMDAS, HOMES, etc to remember orders or groups of things. Or, I'll create a silly song. I did that for a class where I had to memorize 100 dinosaurs. Ugh.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Tips for memorizing/remembering stuff for tests - November 10th 2014, 10:36 PM

It depends on how your school tests. Some schools still do memorization for test. Some schools are moving towards questions that are more application.

A difference would be which drug is a benzodiazepine?

Compared with:

Patient presents with an obvious deformity. Which drug may the doctor order for conscious sedation due to the benefit of affecting the short term memory?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Tips for memorizing/remembering stuff for tests - November 10th 2014, 11:09 PM

Sometimes I honestly have to write the same notes over and over.
Or I will study with my mom or a friend so I hear it reinforced verbally.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
may luck be yours.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Tips for memorizing/remembering stuff for tests - November 10th 2014, 11:20 PM

I like Frankie's idea of making something into a rhyme or a song. I know that when I had to memorize the location of things on a map (or the order of anything, really) I would take the first letter of each word and form it into a sentence.

This isn't necessarily to study, but I recently read to try spraying a perfume or something while studying and then spraying it before you go into class to take the test. I'm pretty sure that scent is fairly strong with the ability to bring flashbacks so that's how it jogs your memory.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016
12.04.19 & 06.10.20

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak ♥
I can't get enough

Name: Kay

Re: Tips for memorizing/remembering stuff for tests - November 10th 2014, 11:26 PM

I agree with Frankie and Dez. I either rhyme things or write it all down (something just don't rhyme )
I use Cassie's perfume technique for every exam, it works

"Being happy isn't about having everything in your life perfect. Maybe it is about stringing together all the little things."

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Access | LiveHelp Access | Forum Moderator

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Tips for memorizing/remembering stuff for tests - November 11th 2014, 02:26 AM

If I have to memorize things I either write the notes over and over again and try to do it until I don't need to copy them.

I also will use name mnemonics. For example Pvt. Tim Hall I used this to memorize the essential amino acids in biology. (Phenylanine, Valine, Threonine, Tryptophan, Isolucine, Histidine, Arginine, Leucine, Lysine) My teacher looked at me funny when I would scribble it on the side of tests or mouth it when I was giving answers.

I find making up songs or rhymes help a lot as well, I will make up a song or rhyme about what I need to remember and then when the test comes around I will tap it out on my lap and it helps me remember.

Also, three years ago our Psych teacher showed us this video of Erikson’s Eight Stages of Development and it used the pegword mnemonic and I still remember it now. When we were quizzed on it throughout the last three years I would mentally go over it and it would help me remember the order and the information. It used ordinary household objects and chose an object that rhymed with the number/thing you were supposed to remember. Some of his examples didn't exactly help me, so when I was watching the video I made up some of my own. I will type them out as an example because I'm not sure if I am making sense.
  1. One is a bun (Trust vs. Mistrust) In the video he used a muffin so I remembered that he lied over the “bun” and used a muffin.
  2. Two is a shoe (Autonomy vs. Shame) A shoe goes on your foot which is part of your autonomy and if you are missing one shoe you will feel a lot of shame
  3. Three is a tree (Initiative vs. Guilt) Gia imagines the tree is her house and takes initiative in her activities but her mom discourages the playing which leads to Gia feeling guilty.
  4. Four is a dinosaur (Industry vs. Inferiority) There is a dinosaur covered in dust and he feels inferior to his playmates.
  5. Five is a skydiver (Identity vs. Role Confusion) A skydiver's chute doesn't open and he falls on top of a car denting it leaving him confused to his role in society.
  6. Six is sticks (Intimacy vs. Isolation) There is two sticks in love, and then one is all alone.
  7. Seven is heaven (Generativity vs. Stagnation) picture a generator up in heaven that died because it ran out of gas and a male deer (stag) pulling the cord to try to get it started again.
  8. Eight is a plate (Integrity vs. Despair) picture grits and a pear on a plate.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
per aspera ad astra
I can't get enough

Name: Oliver

Re: Tips for memorizing/remembering stuff for tests - November 12th 2014, 01:21 AM

Something great my college did was make us take this questionnaire (hopefully it will let you take it). It determines how you learn things the best.

Depending on what learning style suits you best, these articles list some ways you can study.

This is some things you can do to study if you are a visual learner.
This and this can help if you are an aural/auditory learner.
This can help if you're like me and have a read/write learning style.
Annnd this is if you are a kinesthetic learner.

If one study method from a different learning style seems like it might help then definitely try it. It's worth a shot.

I have a lot of trouble studying so I take a lot of notes and also use acronyms or rhymes. My favourite acronym I made for Math is super vulgar so I won't share it, but I remember it every time I need it. Anyway, I hope this helps in some way!

“Remember the mountains and valleys that brought you here.”
- Morgan Harper Nichols

Closed Thread