TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

I think it's over - November 19th 2014, 10:04 PM

After struggling through my masters program for YEARS and getting "fired" by an agency for misinterpretation of self-care, the faculty of my program finally gave up on me. I'm appealing the dismissal, but even if I win I have to decide if I want to go back to a place where I know I'm not wanted. Apparently as long as they SENT the written notice, they can drop you from your registration before you actually RECEIVE said notice. This explains why none of them answered my emails. I asked faculty multiple times, was told no, to my face and my emails were ignored for weeks, then I email them when I find out my classes were dropped without my knowledge and got a response 5 minutes later that the letter has been sent and I should be getting it soon. After they complained about MY professional behavior they're going to do it this way! I was so close I HAD CLIENTS for crying out loud and then overnight it's over. I wouldn't get into another program with no recommendations and 3 W's on my transcript, even if that didn't mean starting from square 1. Time, energy, money, blood, sweat, tears, and dreams WASTED when I was so close I could taste it, debt I racked up for no reason, knowledge obtained for NOTHING.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: I think it's over - November 19th 2014, 11:23 PM

Hi Kate,
I've seen that you posted often about difficulties with your program. I'm really sorry that you were dismissed. You would think they would be more understanding considering that this is a mental health profession training. What is strange to me is why you? It sounds likethey are heavily ppicking on you, attacking, intimidating, accusing etc. Maybe you can try a different program in a different university? But of course you probably feel exhausted after all this wrestling and pain. I hope whatever you decide to do that you have the strength and resilience to continue and not get pushed down by these folks.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: I think it's over - November 19th 2014, 11:24 PM

Aww I'm sorry to hear about this. I hope you find another one!

Can't stop now, I've traveled so far. - Foreigner

I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance. - Garth Brooks

Assoc Live Help Mentor from 11/23/2014-1/17/2015, 8/8/2015-

Live Help Mentor from 1/17/2015-8/8/2015

SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: I think it's over - November 19th 2014, 11:43 PM

I've wondered why me too, and I honestly have no idea. I've done absolutely everything that they asked me to do. I'm not the only person they've screwed over though. If they let me stay I only really want to stay because it doesn't make sense to quit when I'm this far along unless I'm forced to. The place is like a second home minus the treatment). I can make a case that they didn't fully remediate me first and I have proof that I was remediated and approved for clients but if they're pulling the professional behavior card, that was brought to their attention and brushed off.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: I think it's over - November 28th 2014, 09:19 PM

Kate - sorry this is a bit of a late reply but this is just an awfully unfair thing to have to happen to you. I'm so sorry. Have you tried appealing?

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: I think it's over - November 28th 2014, 09:39 PM

I (finally) got the letter this morning after it was supposedly sent on the 18th and I had to ask that it be resent because I didn't get it for almost a week. Now that I have that I have 14 days to respond and ask for a review. I at least want to respond for closure and to get my side of the story told, but both of my parents are against the idea, telling me to walk away (with 5 courses left) to obtain my childhood dream. Even on the extremely rare chance that they took me back, I'd be going back into an environment where I know I'm not wanted. Dismissal is a full-faculty decision, so they're all against me now and my reputation is BLOWN. It doesn't represent who I am, but I can't prove that.

They're claiming the misinterpreted behavior at the agency violated the ethics code, I can explain what really happened, but I don't think I can argue against that.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I think it's over - November 29th 2014, 04:08 AM

You may want to seek potential legal representation but that can get costly. I know people who previously have done that at the dismissal when they were in a nursing program. It was beneficial for at least one student because they were readmitted. I would also begin researching the entire student handbook.

If you to appeal it and it is accepted, would it look better on your record if you appeal and then voluntary withdrawal?

Also, you can try to wait a few years and then attempt to get into a different program. Sometimes personal statements can be beneficial if you can show how you grew. However, I do not fully know your circumstances.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: I think it's over - November 30th 2014, 11:07 PM

That's awful that they can treat you like that without getting your side of the story!

Fight your corner. Don't let them win without a fight or you'll be left wondering about the 'what ifs'

Even if it looks like everyone is against you, you deserve to tell your side of things x

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: I think it's over - December 1st 2014, 12:06 AM

I'm arguing against the ethical violation claim by pointing out the way they handled it.

As soon as they even suspected a violation, My supervisor and the counseling center director should've been notified and I should've been stopped from providing client care immediately and dismissed from the program ASAP. Instead, after the first night at the agency, the coleader's supervisor gave me a second chance after speaking with the coleader. In the week in between the group sessions, I was allowed to provide care to individual clients. After the second night, my supervisor was called (the next morning) and I was not contacted until 4 days later where I was told "You seemed irritated and annoyed". The coleader also said nothing about it to my face and then blamed me for the fact that she didn't tell me anything. I was allowed to keep 3 of my 5 individual hours for that week and the center director was not contacted by the agency or my supervisor, he found out later that week from ME.

Once I was removed from the center (within 24 hours of speaking with the director), I waited another 6 days for the meeting where I was forced to withdraw from the CLASS I asked if I was being removed from the program and they admitted to intentionally avoiding saying that because the faculty would have to meet to discuss it. It was at this point, the director said that my behavior "raised concerns about the quality of care" I was providing.

After that it still took them over a MONTH to formally have me dismissed! and I was not told ANYTHING about a possible ethical breech before receiving the written notice despite speaking with 5 PROFESSIONALS, 4 of them supervisors. So after all that they suddenly decided, aside from everything you already know about by the way, you violated your first responsibility outlined in the ethics code and none of us bothered to tell you, even though you're already supposed to know that. That seems strange to me.

The rest of it I at least have an explanation for, I'm not expecting to be readmitted at this point (although if that happened I would go back only because I was so close to finishing) but I want this ethics violation off of my reputation if I can prove that it didn't happen or shouldn't have been career-ending.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: I think it's over - December 1st 2014, 01:47 AM

I think it's worth stating your case and appealing the decision. Not for this school- but so that when you're at the next chapter in your life, you can vouch for yourself and say that you disagreed with their decision and reason why. I just think it'll look better than giving up. Not an easy decision either way.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: I think it's over - December 1st 2014, 02:54 AM

Now that it's over I just want to go back and finish more than anything, but it'll probably never happen and even if it did, everything would be different. My main point about the ethics thing is if I made such a major mistake, why did it take so long to stop me from providing care and to remove me from the program not to mention that they didn't bother to tell me. That tells me either it didn't warrant that severe a response, or it did but it was handled inappropriately. There's also a reasonable explanation for it that no one ever got from me.

The rest of the stuff I can say that I'm seeing a psychologist to deal with it and will continue to see him if they did let me back. It's worth at least trying

Update: I submitted my appeal letter this afternoon and the dean says they will convene the committee to discuss it as soon as they're available and they will contact me for a possible hearing date. So, I get a hearing. I'm not going in denying anything, but I feel like this was kind of extreme.

Last edited by Kate*; December 1st 2014 at 11:25 PM.

Closed Thread