TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Pregnancy and careers right out of college - November 23rd 2014, 08:47 PM

Hey, so for those of you who had children while you were young, did you have problems getting jobs?

I am not pregnant but I know the risk is there because I am having sex. Currently there are 5 months until I graduate from school. Meaning that I wouldn't be able to have a child until next summer. It wouldn't be a big deal cause then at least I can finish school.

However, it's almost worst because I'll be done school and I haven't lived with my parents for years, meaning that being half way through a pregnancy would probably affect my employment opportunities.

i have wondered how other people managed being pregnant young and how it affected their transition into the work world or how it affected them if they got pregnant shortly after being employed.

Like i said, I am not pregnant yet, but this concern has been causing me anxiety (even if it isn't legitimate) and I just need to hear other peoples insights.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: Pregnancy and careers right out of college - November 24th 2014, 03:36 PM

I know this doesn't answer your question, and I can't answer your question as I don't have any children.

Communicate with your partner. Sit down with them and discuss the possibility of children, if they want children, when should you two have children, do you want to be married? Of course, you want to have settled into a career and is stable financially. That could take a year, as you said, or several years. Communication is key here. You don't want any disagreements or surprises.

Speaking of surprises, also use contraceptives. Get on the pill and have your partner use some form of contraception. It will greatly reduce the risk of a surprise pregnancy, and one that isn't wanted until a few years down the road.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Pregnancy and careers right out of college - November 27th 2014, 12:07 AM

We've already done all that - had "the talk" about pregnancy & kids, already on birth control, etc.... Now I just want to know how people deal with a career when they have a kid, especially when they're just starting out, so that i can stop worrying about how I'll still get a career if I have a stupid squalling baby at home.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27

Re: Pregnancy and careers right out of college - November 27th 2014, 01:06 AM

People who I grew up with such as classmates in grade school have had kids quite early. In our culture, females get married as young as 14 sometimes. Then they stay home with the kid and their husband works. This traditional style does not seem sustainable, nor is it ideal for a growing number of people. Not to mention this approach leaves out say a lesbian couple or a single mother. There is still the option of a work at home mom or business owner. But probably best to have started that blog( however you wish to startup) you plan to make a income out of before you get pregnant so there isn't so much stress and panic during crunch time.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15 Points: 11,504, Level: 15

Re: Pregnancy and careers right out of college - November 29th 2014, 03:15 AM

My advice is to wait till you have a job that you know you will be able to support yourself on and with health insurance. With my latest job, it took 30 days for the health insurance to kick in.

Also, you may not be entitled to take your maternity leave in the US if you have not been at your job for a full year. Something to consider.
Closed Thread