TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Points: 9,930, Level: 14 Points: 9,930, Level: 14 Points: 9,930, Level: 14

Potentially failing out of college - November 27th 2014, 07:44 AM

So I might be failing out of college. I'm honestly not sure what to do. I am 21 years old and still living with my parents. I had one job that lasted for three years but I quit half way through my freshman year of college. I take only two classes per quarter and don't have a job. Somehow, I've still managed to fail.

The major thing that baffles me is how people work up the energy to care. All I seem to feel is dread and anxiety. My life is a complete train wreck. My disorganization and inability to deal with issues in front of me shows up in all areas of my life. My room is a mess. I horde things because for some reason it feels wrong to throw things away or get rid of them. There is so much random crap piled in my room that I simply have no idea what it is or how it even got there.

So this is my rant about my serious concerns regarding my life. I might not actually fail out of college as I am pretty sure I will be able to pull through in this last week, however being faced with the possibility seriously has scared me. I feel like the average 21 year old should be far more responsible then I am which makes me feel absolutely terrible about myself.

Anyways, please let me know what you think about all this.

http://strigidaeofchrono.deviantart.com/
"Setting boundaries is not a more sophisticated way of manipulation - although some people will say they are setting boundaries, when in fact they are attempting to manipulate. The difference between setting a boundary in a healthy way and manipulating is: when we set a boundary we let go of the outcome."

You shut your mouth
How can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am Human and I need to be loved
Just like everybody else does

Colonel Meow
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount13

Edit avatar

Re: Potentially failing out of college - November 27th 2014, 09:20 AM

Hey there.

Sorry to hear that you've having a hard time. Not that I have experience with college, but I know of many people who struggle with college because it's stressful and there's lots of pressure. On top of personal issues going on in the background. From what you've described, I can understand how you'd be having trouble working up the motivation to focus on college work. As I said, I don't have college experience but I can relate on some level as I sometimes feel so disorganized that even the thought of being productive is daunting.

From what I understand from what you wrote, it sounds like you're struggling with having energy to be productive which causes you to feel anxiety and dread towards college. I really don't think you're irresponsible as many people struggle the same way you do.

Sometimes the inability to care and focus on important things during the day like college work does stem from emotional factors. But I think it'd be worth thinking about physical factors that could also interfering with having energy. Such as maintaining a healthy diet consisting of lots of protein and nutrition. A good sleep pattern and ten or fifteen minutes of exercise each day if possible. Staying healthy in many different physical ways can help you maintain focus and energy.

Something that may help is to figure out the main, most important goals of the day. Then take it one step at a time so that you don't feel so overwhelmed. Perhaps write a to-do list that you feel you can manage consisting of realistic standards? By achieving little things and having goals you can reach easily, it may help you build up energy to accomplish college-related work once you see that it is possible to be productive and organized.

Also remember that it's okay to ask for help! Could you study with a friend so that you're able to have more encouragement and help if you begin feeling unmotivated?

Hoarding can become somewhat of an issue. The fact that you recognize that what you're doing is a problem is a good first step though. Many people that hoard things have a difficult time recognizing and facing that it's a problem. Do you think you could go through some things in your spare time and find other things to do with it if you don't wish to throw it in the trash? You say that you feel it's wrong to throw things away, so how about finding a better purpose to those things, yet still get them out of your room? For example, for any cardboard, paper, plastic you have, you can recycle. Try reducing the clutter in your room by finding better purposes for things. Perhaps you could ask your mother to help you sort through the stuff and give you ideas on what to do with it? If you do clean your room up, try keeping your attention on things you carry into your room to prevent more clutter in the future. A clean, organized and tidy room is a refreshing environment!

Hope this helped a bit and made some sense. You're welcome to PM me if you need someone to talk/vent to. I don't mind at all and I'd be happy to listen and give support. Stay strong!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20

Re: Potentially failing out of college - November 28th 2014, 06:23 AM

I think that you're someone who can make it through it because you've already lasted so long. I think your determination is definitely going to pull through. One tactic you can use is to start working early, before the anxiety and dread sets in. There's no reason to fear what you've already completed and done. That's just a tactic, though. what i'm here to tell you is how to really mentally overcome all of the problems that you've had before this.

Firstly, anxiety is something that is synonymous with college. Struggling with assignment deadlines and all that is something that a lot of people go through. But rest assured, this too will pass. You just need to tell yourself "I'm stronger than this and I can overcome this " because that is in itself the truth. I'm guilty of hoarding too because i think that some stuff is not worth throwing, but the fact remains that sometimes you just gotta make room for new, better things in your life. of course, if there's anything that really means a lot to you, keep it.

i know that it seems tough for now, but it only seems that way. Truly, i think that you can overcome all of this and get through college.

you'll have my utmost support and you'll never lose it.

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.
Closed Thread