TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Assignments due Sunday night, working 32 hours between now and then... - December 17th 2014, 07:51 PM

I have two assignments due on Sunday night, one of which is a draft literature review for my thesis.

About an hour and a half ago I discovered that I have to work Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Eight hour shifts each. It takes me over an hour to travel each way to my job, and it's waitressing in a busy café which has me exhausted.

I asked for tomorrow off because I needed a whole empty day to work on these, but my request was ignored.

People won't cover my shift. It's my birthday on Monday and I really don't want to still be doing the assignments that day, stressing about the late penalties they'll have.

I'm freaking out.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
i am jack's smirking revenge
I've been here a while

Re: Assignments due Sunday night, working 32 hours between now and then... - December 18th 2014, 01:08 AM

Hey there,

It sounds like you're feeling overwhelmed between work, school, and life right now, which is understandable. Try not to panic (easier said than done, I know ) , because it won't help you get anything done. Now I have a few suggestions and tips to help you face these next few days.

First, I know you mentioned something about people not covering your shift. I would just double check with anyone and everyone and ask them to do you this favour. In return you could offer taking one of their shifts the next time they need to get rid of a shift. If no one can take a shift, I would maybe consider the thought of calling in sick one of those days if there are no repercussions to doing so. Or perhaps you'd be allowed to leave earlier or start a shift later than you might normally?

If none of those are options then a tip I have for you is to first take some time really breaking down your assignments into smaller chunks. Managing your time properly might help ease the stress a bit because sometimes thinking big picture can be too overwhelming. So break your assignments down into small bits and try to create a schedule you can actually follow. I found that really helped me focus and get things accomplished when time was running out and I was swamped with the giant school project plus work and such.

Just make sure to take care of yourself during the next few days as well. Practicing self care will help you be able to manage all of this and keep you healthy as well.

Hope this helped a little. Good luck with everything!
Take care. :]

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Assignments due Sunday night, working 32 hours between now and then... - December 18th 2014, 08:09 AM

Thanks so much. I actually called in sick last Saturday to catch up with college work so I can't really do it again this weekend. I'm going to try and ask if anyone else will cover my shift but the people there aren't the nicest and I've only been in the job two months so I'm not getting my hopes up... trying to break the assignments down like you said but I keep having panic attacks and letting it overwhelm me which kind of wastes time a bit...

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

Closed Thread