TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

College social life - December 28th 2014, 02:17 AM

This post was originally a long complaint about how much I fucking hate the school I go to, but I realized that is unfair considering I've only been around for a semester. I only have 3 friends here, and they are 3 very platonic friendships, and I'm almost sure one of them will fade away because she got a boyfriend. One of my old friends got busted for terrorism (You think you know a guy, right) and he's gettin 20 years. Oh well.
What should I do? I blew welcome week a long time ago, I was too busy working. In general, I don't have much energy; my job has made me nocturnal. I like my job, but like I said, that takes up my social life, or whatever social life I expected. I don't like my roommate very much, he's super boring and the only time we were gonna actually hang out he ditched me. So what do I do? And for the love of God, nobody suggest Greek life. This place is lawless, people get the shit hazed out of them here.
And no... I don't go to Michigan. Thats just my avatar.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: College social life - December 28th 2014, 04:29 PM

Have you joined any clubs at your school? Those are a great way to meet some people with similar interests. Making friends in college has been tough for me as well because unlike in high school, you won't see these people five times a week. Because of this, you have to be a little more forwards and don't be afraid to ask some people if they'd like to hang out some time. Do you have any co-workers that you think you'd like to hang out with some time? How about people you sit next to during class? It starts with just starting up a conversation. Also if you are living in a dorm go to the events that your RA puts on, even if they sound lame. That will give you a chance to meet people who live on your floor which is a great opportunity to make some friendships.
Remember that three friends isn't bad at all. I'm not sure why it's bad that they are platonic, though? That's what friendships should be. If this one girl stops being a friend to you just because she has a boyfriend, then you don't want her as a friend anyway because friends should always come first before relationships.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Points: 11,382, Level: 15 Points: 11,382, Level: 15 Points: 11,382, Level: 15

Re: College social life - December 29th 2014, 12:31 AM

Honestly, I didn't have many friends until my sophomore year. I joined a new club that I really clicked with, and now I'm good friends with nearly everyone there. It just takes some time to find the right people to hang out with sometimes.

And three friends is totally okay. I only have two close friends, my roommate and my boyfriend, that I talk to on a regular basis outside of class.

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
anonymouswhale Offline
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Points: 11,142, Level: 15 Points: 11,142, Level: 15 Points: 11,142, Level: 15

Re: College social life - December 29th 2014, 01:44 AM

Hey,

I had trouble making friends in college. In my opinion, the easiest way to do it is by finding *one* good person. Then, things tend to snowball and you'll hang out with their friends, too.

I joined an outdoor club and went night rappelling. It was cool to carpool with people and take a risk together. That's how I made my friends.

Just look up the clubs that your school offers, email the head of the club and ask them when they meet, and go to one event.

Don't worry about Greek life- that was NEVER my plan either.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Points: 19,789, Level: 20 Points: 19,789, Level: 20 Points: 19,789, Level: 20

Re: College social life - December 29th 2014, 12:31 PM

I feel ya, and I too am a college freshman and struggle with making friends. One thing that really helped me was that I started socializing with the people I sit around in class and that's how I met my closest friends. I agree with Nicole that joining clubs and different organizations is also a great way to meet people who have similar interests as you. Do you live on campus or are you a commuter? At my university, if you live in the dorms, there's a lot of on-going activities around campus that you could participate in that are designed for people who live on campus. I'd suggest you taking part in some of those. Hope this helps!

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

Closed Thread