TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Cover Letter. - February 17th 2015, 07:52 PM

When I applied for the job I currently have, I was only required to submit a resume. I'm now looking at some different full-time positions to apply for and many of the applications require a cover letter to accompany my resume. I've never written a cover letter in my life and I have no idea what I'm expected to put in it. If anyone could offer me some suggestions for a good starting point, I'd really appreciate it!

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Cover Letter. - February 18th 2015, 01:17 PM

Hey Sammi,

Iíve only ever written one cover letter, for a school project, which wasnít very good. That said, I think cover letters are supposed to be a really good summary of your resume (but not using the same words). The idea is that your cover letter will be the first thing employers see, so itís important to sell yourself.

Iíd suggest looking online for examples. I particularly liked this. (CV is just the British word for resume).

Best wishes

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lesley_J Offline
Wanderer
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lesley Vos

Re: Cover Letter. - March 2nd 2015, 01:24 PM

Checking online examples would be a great idea indeed. But choose god ones from authoritative resources. .edu websites for example. good luck with your cover letter!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: Cover Letter. - March 2nd 2015, 01:38 PM

Hi there,

I recommend writing cover letters for EVERY position you apply for, even if it is not required. They are a pain in the butt, but going that extra 20 minutes for the company will put you in a better place.

1) The heading- Should include your name, address, telephone number (don't need to write "telephone #"-they know), and a professional sounding email address.

2) The introduction- FIND A NAME. Do not, do not, put "to whom it may concern" or "human resources department". Check out the company's website, go on linkedin, you probably have refined enough "stalking" skills to find a name here. This is so important.

3) The body- Research the company. Find something about their philosophy or mission statement that you can apply to your own job experience or personal experience. How long has the company been in business? What do they strive for? The cover letter is about how you fit into their profile, and mentioning some things you know about the company will help you.

4) Closing it off- Include something about the end about how you believe your experience would develop and match what the company's core is looking for, and you look forward to learning about more opportunities and appreciate their consideration.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Cover Letter. - March 3rd 2015, 10:49 PM

Thank you guys so much!

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Cover Letter. - March 3rd 2015, 11:57 PM

Oh, cover letters. The bane of my existence. I hate writing them because they always sound so stiff. It's really frustrating when you put effort into researching an organization and spend time writing a cover letter only to, hey guess what, find out these people will never contact you. Er, why not? I am a good writer (I work in public relations) and I have a solid resume (it's 3+ pages unedited, including extensive volunteering and 2 post-secondary degrees). But hey, I get jobs. You just learn to write them and write, and write again. It drives you bat shit crazy because you can't get called by everyone but what ever.

1) use the same header for resume and cover letter. Include name, email, phone number, linked in, and websites (if any). A website isn't required. I have a website, but only because I write and I nee to provide proof of my graphic design work, writing samples, PR work etc. You do not need to include your home address in a header. It really isn't an employers problem where you live, how you get to and from work is your business.

2) Dear Hiring Manager: Dear Human Resources: Dear [Insert Name]: (use the colon). Always try to use a persons name. Some people will say to address a certain department. If unsure, I usually go with "Hiring Manager" because human resources doesn't always do the hiring, and that way you cover a base by calling it "hiring manager" vs. assigning a certain apartment

3) Introduce that you want the position (eg. I am submitting my application for the Barista position at Starbucks) and why (because I am seeking employment and know Starbucks to be a good, reputable employer.) and what ever else (I am currently a student, and I would like to supplement my income at an organization that I have a long standing commitment to) - please never use that actual wording, I usually write cover letters for marketing/ communications/ writing positions so the language I use is totally different than what I would use if I was applying to Starbucks, which, frankly, I'd never do.

4) Highlight some of your skills in a second paragraph. Don't regurgitate your resume, they can read that if they want to know. Tell them how you are qualified (eg. if they want someone to do design, tell them how you have that experience, how you came by it). Let them know why you think you'd fit into the corporate culture etc.

5) You can have up to 3 paragraphs (on average, maybe 4-5), no more than 1 page.

6) There is no 1 way to do things. Look online to fine tune format

7) "I look forwards to discussing this position further" (or some similar approximation)

8) Sincerely, [Your Name]

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread