TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    The Holiday Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Exclamation need help with melodic motion/contouring - April 23rd 2015, 05:01 AM

It is a weird tension I'm having because I naturally have contours in my head when I listen to music but it has to be a STANDARD contour. Something that others can look at and follow along with listening to the melody.

The assignment is due this friday. I was given it at the end of class on tuesday and tonight (wednesday) I came home from school, took a nap and then spent 3 very frustrating hours on this. I don't know what to do at this point. What's more is that this is Iranian music so my sister who is in a music program in her high school is stuck on it as well. There's only so much she can help me with...

I am given seven "gushehs" (semi composed melodies as part of the Iranian music system) and I have to draw out the contouring. I keep getting squiggly lines but apparently that's not an option because the professor gave us a choice of 8 different types and he said that generally speaking a single melody would have a few of those 8. But none of them are squiggly lines.
The 8 types are:
ascending/rising- 1) stepwise 2) linear
descending 3)stepwise 4) linear
arch 5)stepwise 6)linear
reverse arch 7)stepwise 8)linear

We also have to make the steps get emphasis so for example if there are equal lengths steps or some long steps and some long short steps we have to draw it to represent that. We also have to note repetitions. We have to note different phases which are marked by pauses.

This post is going to not be much relevance after Friday. I don't know how anyone can help me or if I should bother with uploading all 7 melodies in hopes someone out there knows something and can assist me.

I emailed classmates but I don't know how useful that will be. Ican email my prof but I don't even know what to say. He encourages us to ask questions but I don't have a particular question. I just don't know how to communicate what I hear into an illustration that is readable. I just know how to draw the picture I get in my head but it is no where near what he is asking for.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: need help with melodic motion/contouring - April 29th 2015, 10:39 AM

Hey there,

How did it go?

Iím sorry this didnít get any replies in time! I did try looking online, but I couldnít understand much. Even though I know the deadline has gone, and I canít offer much advice, I wanted to say that asking for help, either on here or asking classmates/your prof is always the right thing to do, and something which I wish I had done more often myself, so kudos to you!

Personally, I believe that there is no right or wrong, when it comes to how you visualise music. As with most art forms, how you perceive it is unique and individual to you. Pity in school they have to stick to marking schemes

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: need help with melodic motion/contouring - April 30th 2015, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchWelshWolf View Post
Hey there,

How did it go?

I’m sorry this didn’t get any replies in time! I did try looking online, but I couldn’t understand much. Even though I know the deadline has gone, and I can’t offer much advice, I wanted to say that asking for help, either on here or asking classmates/your prof is always the right thing to do, and something which I wish I had done more often myself, so kudos to you!

Personally, I believe that there is no right or wrong, when it comes to how you visualise music. As with most art forms, how you perceive it is unique and individual to you. Pity in school they have to stick to marking schemes
I want to say it went well but I can't really say that. I guess it is what it is and I truly did my absolute best to complete the assignment as he asked it. I actually went to the music department lounge where the students whose major is music like to hang out and asked a few of them all of whom were confused as I was. I also referred to go to this one professor (not my own) and ask them about it because apparently she is really good at things like this but she had gone by the time I went- it was a Friday evening so what did I expect. :P I also emailed my professor after writing this thread but no response from him and no one reponded from my class except someone who replied with asking her own question so I ended up replying to her to answer her question about what she had difficulty with and I ended up doing it to the best of my ability and emailing it with all the sections completed. But I didn't even get a reply from my professor even though he usually replies to just say "I got your assignment" or something that's the only thing bugging me still.

Btw thank you for trying to look things up. I do appreciate it. It's alright if you couldn't help with the assignment though, because I don't know anyone who wasn't utterly confused (except for the professor ) My family members tried looking things up for me and ended up emailing me things that I already knew. It seems like there's little information on this. We don't have a textbook for that class, and lately my professor has been lecturing because he said he couldn't find journal articles on it. There are some super technical PhD level readings but that's not on our level so our lessons are mainly from him. Earlier in the semester we had a ton more readings.
I also agree with what you said about how art is subjective and there's no right or wrong way to visualize music.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: need help with melodic motion/contouring - April 30th 2015, 10:19 AM

At least you know you tried your best! And I guess itís not too bad if no-one else seemed to know either and PhD level readings? Ouch, I couldnít imagine that!

Anyway, Iíll go ahead and close this thread now. But if you ever want to re-open it, feel free to PM me or Hiraeth

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread