TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Astar Offline
Not a n00b

I can't study - June 2nd 2015, 05:40 PM

I can't study. It's sounds mad but as soon as I pick up a book my mind wanders and I think about something else. I'm halfway through my exams but have revised almost nothing! I'm smart but not smart enough to get brilliant grades without revision, but I have no motivation nor any focus. Anything will distract me, even just a picture on my wall. Most of the time I start daydreaming and never stop. I'm getting worried that I'm going to fail some exams but that still doesn't motivate me. Help!

I can do it and I can get through it. So can you xx

(#2 (permalink)) Old
verolinia123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: lizz

Re: I can't study - June 2nd 2015, 09:41 PM

get some good sleep and maybe take some nootropics/ smart drugs.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak ♥
I can't get enough

Name: Kay

Re: I can't study - June 3rd 2015, 01:51 AM

Hey, I can understand what you are saying because I went through a similar phase a few years ago. That's when my mother suggested loud revision and I still do that when I feel I am getting distracted. The thing with loud revision if that when you hear your own voice stop you realize that your mind has wondered. Loud revision really does help. You don't have to be loud enough for everyone to hear, just enough for you to hear and stay in the present. But if you have a supportive family, you could ask someone to keep an eye on you. The moment they stop hearing your voice, they can come remind you to continue. When you know someone is hearing you revise, you tend to continue without stopping.

One more thing I found helpful is acting as if you are explaining things to someone. You don't have to take names, but instead of studying, if you read as if you are explaining to someone, it helps you remember. I do that when it comes to subjects that involve solving. You could also keep taking notes while studying. If you make rough notes, not only do you remember what you have studied/ revised you can also compare the amount of studies and time taken and try to complete more studies the next time.

One more thing that worked for me is rewarding myself when I finished a set goal for revision. It could be some time of watching tv or even a bar of chocolate. Just remind yourself of the reward when you are revising and it sure does help motivate. But keep the reward small and something that you enjoy, you want it to be a motivation and not an expense.

I hope you are able to concentrate for your exams. Concentration is something that comes from within. I personally don't feel drugs can build concentration. From what you explain, to reach a full level of concentration might take time, but I hope what I have said helps you concentrate enough to revise for your ongoing exams. All the best and I hope you do well.

"Being happy isn't about having everything in your life perfect. Maybe it is about stringing together all the little things."

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Access | LiveHelp Access | Forum Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: I can't study - June 3rd 2015, 02:33 AM

Hey there,
I struggle with this issue too. I've found having a 20 minute rule really helps. You basically study 15 minutes then take a break for 5 minutes. Then repeat. Make it like a game, set a timer and don't stop studying till the timer goes off. If 15 minutes feels too much, you can lower it to 10 with a 2 minute break in the beginning.
Another thing helps me is listening to very low music that is instrumental. Lyrics can be distracting!

This is more for written assignments but what I do is besides writing down the due date in my planner I also write my "do date" in other words, the set time I plan to do the task. A lot of the time students forget to make time for studying before the deadline. Keep in mind that the time before the day of the exam is more significant than the day itself. So setting up time each day is important. Each subject I would study a little differently but writing a list of topics usually helps. From there, I would break up the topics into a group I know well, a group I dont know at all and a group I'm fuzzy and needs brushing up.
Then start with what you don't know at all, then do the brushing up group. That way you have a general structure of your study time.
I will update more when I remember

Closed Thread