TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Getting used to the routine, and nerves. - June 3rd 2015, 03:48 AM

So, even though the summer job I originally posted about fell through, I got a job working at the same company where my dad does. I started on the 1st.

The hours are very early. This week, they are 7:30 AM to 4 PM, but next week summer hours start and instead I will be working from 6:30 AM to 3 PM.
I also have to do a lot of heavy lifting in this job. It's heavy to me because I'm a weakling, but it's probably not heavy to anyone else. I also have to do some measuring and weighing and taking things out of packaging and resealing and all that fun stuff. I have to get the boxes from their location and bring them over in order to do that, and once I've done a few I have to bring them all back. I do ask for help on really heavy stuff or tall stuff, but I'm using muscles I don't normally use because I don't exercise.
It's also a dirty job. By the end of the day my clothes are covered in dust and dirt.

So, I'm having a really hard time getting used to this. I know it is only two days so far, but I've come home from work both days so exhausted I'm barely keeping my eyes open and so sore it hurts. I know that tomorrow and the next day, and well, the rest of my time working here it's going to be no different. I'm basically living from break to break, waiting to go home.

How the heck do I get used to that? I don't want to be in a state of constant pain and exhaustion all summer so if anyone has any tips it'd be great.

My nerves/anxiety are also getting to me. By lunch today I was almost in tears I was so discouraged and frustrated. I am so scared of doing anything wrong and I am so scared of bugging my supervisor and I just am really scared that I'm really useless, a waste of space, or a bother.

I want to do well though so I'm scared I won't. My dad put his neck out for me for this job and I don't want to make him look like an ass. I also don't want to make myself look lazy or like I'm a bad worker, and I also want to make an impression for letters of recommendation for whatever else I may need, like a summer job for next year.

Idk. Halp.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
NatureFantasy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Getting used to the routine, and nerves. - June 3rd 2015, 05:54 PM

In terms of not physically hurting, there are a few techniques I can give you. The most important thing to recognize is to ALWAYS lift with your knees, NOT your back. Otherwise, you ight injure yourself, and that worries me. Here is a demonstration of proper lifting technique:

http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/proper-lifting-technique

Here are some tips to prevent injury:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...ons/000414.htm

Other than that, I suggest taking anti-inflammatories, such as ibuprophen or Aleve, when on the job. Though you should call and consult your doctor first, to make sure that they don't interfere with anything you're currently taking.

In terms of waking up early, I recommend listening to music to help get you going. I find that when my ears wake up, the rest of my body starts to wake up too.

Over time, you will get stronger, and you'll also probably develop a firmer relationship with your supervisor and know where you stand better. But I know that's not very helpful in the short-term.

For now, in terms of anxiety, just remind yourself that every bit of work you do is one more thing in the right place, and that much less work for everybody else. It won't necessarily fix your anxiety, but it might help you feel more useful.

In terms of living break-to-break, I'm not sure what to tell you. I guess just make the time you spend once you get off super relaxing and fulfilling? Reward yourself with the things you like most, that make you feel the best.

By the way, I just wanted to say that I don't know if I could handle a job like the one you have, and I think you're really tough.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Getting used to the routine, and nerves. - June 6th 2015, 10:13 PM

Thanks again for your response! The nerves have pretty much all gone away unless I think I've made a mistake or something because then it's like oh my god am I gonna get in trouble? I also am not as nervous to ask for help when I need it anymore. The supervisor, who is not my boss technically but is my dad's boss, is the one that helps me lift things and answers general procedural questions the most, seeing as my boss isn't in the same room as me like ever. He's really nice. All the other workers are nice too and they've known about me since I was little because of my dad, so we have nice conversations and they're willing to help me lift and such too.

A lot of my pain has been in my right wrist, so when it gets too bad I put a brace on it. My back will get sore, but not as much as my wrist did. By the end of the day my knees also hurt, a combination of walking around a lot and lifting I suppose. But by the end of the week the pain I've been experiencing was less intense, I was even able to take off the wrist brace by Friday. I also ask for help lifting things if they're on high shelves just in case they're heavy (plus I'm too short to reach), and my dad weighs the heavier items, mainly because my scale at my station only goes up to a certain weight, but his goes up higher. So that reduces the amount of lifting I have.

I think the tiredness is the hardest to deal with. I can go to sleep really early and still feel like death by the end of the next day. I don't know how to get used to that, but once I get off work for the day I sleep soon after.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Getting used to the routine, and nerves. - June 8th 2015, 04:35 AM

Congrats on the working! It is something that you will become more used to, as time goes on. Especially the lifting stuff. Early hours though... that can just be a pain Have you ever taken Vitamin B? Can be good for helping sleep and energy. Magnesium is also really useful for muscles and joints

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
NatureFantasy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Getting used to the routine, and nerves. - June 8th 2015, 08:24 PM

I'm glad to hear that the pain is getting better, and that your nerves are going away at least somewhat. You should be proud of your progress. I know I'm proud of you. I'm not sure what I can tell you in terms of the tiredness though. Just be sure to keep up your vitamin D and iron levels, because if those get low they can make you feel weak.

Closed Thread