TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   Applying to grad school (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t138833-applying-grad-school/)

Hiraeth June 4th 2015 12:50 AM

Applying to grad school

Has anyone here applied (and hopefully gotten into) to grad school in a subject that is very different from their undergrad studies? If so I have some questions for you :)

Always * June 5th 2015 09:10 PM

Re: Applying to grad school

I haven't gotten in, but I've done enough research that I may know the answer to some of your questions.

Kate* June 5th 2015 09:53 PM

I've been through the process once and will very likely be going through it again, but both degrees were very related to my undergrad. The most important thing is to research the requirements and make sure you meet them or find a way to. You can even contact a program and tell them what you have or ask what you would need. It really depends on what the degree is in.

Mahray June 8th 2015 12:45 PM

I suspect I'm the wrong country, but I started in undergrad engineering, finished with undergrad arts, then teaching, then maths/science teaching, then guidance counselling, now back for more psychology. So a bit of experience as well :)

Hiraeth June 10th 2015 04:25 AM

My undergrad is computer science, and my intended grad program is in the social sciences. I wasn't able to complete any proper social science courses during my undergrad, and I've written a total of two papers that I could give as formal writing samples. I'm wondering if it would make more sense to just go back and do another undergrad or try applying for masters but accept that I won't be able to get into the more competitive / well-funded ones. There's the thought that even if I need to do a less competitive masters program and use that to apply to a more competitive one, in the bigger picture, two masters still looks nicer than two undergrads.

Also no such thing as wrong country :) I'm aiming to go to Europe but open to any possibility really.

Kate* June 10th 2015 04:56 AM

In some cases if you don't have the undergrad work you can somehow arrange to take the extra courses anyway. They usually only require 3 or 4 and a community college would probably offer them.

Coffee. June 13th 2015 04:29 AM

The great thing about social sciences is that many are very flexible and actually like seeing variety in undergrad majors, as it brings a lot to the field. My field (public health) LOVES seeing the engineering and hard science majors get involved, so depending on the program, computer science may be actually a good major. My only concern would be pre-reqs, but many can be accomplished in community college so I wouldn't go back for another undergrad, just get these taken care of for cheap and use your computer science as a tool!

Hit me up if you have any questions! I'll be master's candidate in the fall, I applied for four universities and did the whole GRE thing (took no subject tests, but I can help look into them for you!), I know a bit about the psychology master's/PhD process, so let me know! :)

Proud90sKid June 13th 2015 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiraeth (Post 1190501)
My undergrad is computer science, and my intended grad program is in the social sciences. I wasn't able to complete any proper social science courses during my undergrad, and I've written a total of two papers that I could give as formal writing samples. I'm wondering if it would make more sense to just go back and do another undergrad or try applying for masters but accept that I won't be able to get into the more competitive / well-funded ones. There's the thought that even if I need to do a less competitive masters program and use that to apply to a more competitive one, in the bigger picture, two masters still looks nicer than two undergrads.

Also no such thing as wrong country :) I'm aiming to go to Europe but open to any possibility really.

Going to get a second undergrad is not always as easy as it sounds. I was thinking about this- until I realized that my state has an extra tuition law for those who exceed a certain number of hours (which you would if you were getting a second degree). Also, many schools do not like you to get second bachelor's and will give such students last pick when choosing classes- it is pretty unfair but true.

In any case- for some fields , it can be hard to get into a master's program if you are missing the upper level classes for that field. Im not sure about social sciences but it is the case in a lot of fields.Undergrad usually finishes with you doing upper level study- while master's is all upper level. So you are almost expected to have at least taken most of the first semester senior level courses.

I know all this because I am in a similar situation - wanting to go to grad school in something that wasn't my major in college.

If a 4 year is near you, you could maybe apply as non-degree seeking and take some classes until you have enough to get into good master's programs.

Good luck