TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Justin Bieber Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

How not to Procrastinate - January 13th 2009, 04:14 PM

I doubt I am the only one on TH who finds themselves procrastinating like CRAZY!!!!! Some days I do not start my homework until 11:30pm... I really need to find a way to keep myself focused but I am not sure how... Suggestions?

Tonight I have two tests to study for, a lab report and subject homework. So quick replies are much appreciated

Thank you in advance
-Amy

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Debs <3 x Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Debbie

Re: How not to Procrastinate - January 13th 2009, 04:16 PM

I have a major problem with this too lol
but i find sometimes that closing everything else on the computer helps and only have your work open, dont try and do your work at the same time lol
hope this helps xxx

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: How not to Procrastinate - January 13th 2009, 04:25 PM

I have a huge problem wth procrastination, too. I just sit down and make myself do my homework. Try turning off the tv and your phone, too, so you have no distractions.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Re: How not to Procrastinate - January 14th 2009, 12:46 PM

GET OF TEENHELP....

It really does help :P...

I have the same problem. You have to be strict with yourself or no method will work. Personally, i cut out all distractions except some music. Then say right i will complete 3paragraphs of an essay...then have 15mins doing something else...msn, th, games....then repeat....

or you could set yourself a time...30mins work, 10min break...

For future, make a plan, with breaks in so that you can keep to it.

But to be honest, you have to be disciplined, as your the only one that can make you do it. xx

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: How not to Procrastinate - January 14th 2009, 05:32 PM

First, waiting for a response on TH isn't going to help you with the work to do. Get off the computer, turn it off (unless you actually need to type something or research something) and go to it. For me, I have a fairly routine schedule. Come home, have a snack, drink, watch 30 mins of TV, eat dinner (depends when I come home, some days I come home at around 4pm, some past 10 pm). Go upstairs, maybe browse a bit on TH then call it quits and go.

My incentive is that if I don't then I'll be in your shoes: up very late at night, very tired and attempting to do some work. I've done that before, especially for animal physiology lab reports and well, when I get them back, I'm appalled at some of the nonsense I wrote. I don't like to hand it utter crap so I work on it beforehand.

This semester, and like other semesters, there's a lot of reading and studying. I like the material and find it quite interesting, so it's not a chore for me. Human anatomy and physiology does get quite detailed, sometimes to insane amounts but it's still interesting.

I reward myself though. I do the work, I get time to view things on the internet I like (i.e. snuff films, MSN). I don't like to rush simply to get the reward faster because the idea of purposely handing in crap disgusts me. I'm not a perfectionist, I can let small flaws go, providing there's not a lot of them.

Also, self-discipline and time management. Make a schedule, not a little imaginary one that you don't follow but one that is in pen and paper. allow more than enough time for everything. If it'll take you 1 hour, give 1.5-2 hours. That extra time can either be used to reviewing, having a break or starting early on something else. I've been doing this for quite some time, so to me, it's not that big of a deal.

Also, study at school or during your breaks. It makes the homework load a lot less. You can hang out with the friends later or talk on MSN later, they'll still be around.

Before I was in highschool, my parents were away, and my grandmother took care of me. She was strict and if I didn't do all the work or at least not a good chunk, I'd get a cane then the parents get pissed off and everything when they come home. Also, had parents checking I did my homework, and then reviewing it to see that it wasn't a pile of crap on a page. Now I do that myself and it's rather instinctive almost.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
love2laugh Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: How not to Procrastinate - January 14th 2009, 10:09 PM

i'm the same way. i find getting started to be the hardest part. but if you set mini rewards for yourself it goes faster. for example. after 30 mins of study i get 10 mins to talk on the phone, go on the computer ect... but honestly just get started. it's the hardest part!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: How not to Procrastinate - January 14th 2009, 10:24 PM

You have to force yourself not to do the things you would rather be doing than homework. If you are procrastinating because you are afraid of not doing well on the homework, you have to get over your perfectionism.

I always procrastinated in high school, but I never have in college.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Re: How not to Procrastinate - January 14th 2009, 10:41 PM

This is going to sound as stupid as heck but I do it and it works! :P
I get home and take a 30 minute break, set a timer. Then I take 5 minutes and write down everything I need to do, cut them up on pieces on paper, and put them in a hat. Then a pull one task out of the hat, it can be a real assignment or study a subject for a certain amount of time. I also include a 20 minute free period with every 5 assignments I add in there. It makes me feel like it is given at random ( which it is) and there is no choice ( although there was never any choice in the first place). I don't know why it works for me and it sounds a like it would be for little kids. Hey! Whatever works right?

(#9 (permalink)) Old
withsugarontop Offline
Me, the one and only
Not a n00b

Name: Francesca

Re: How not to Procrastinate - January 20th 2009, 10:40 PM

lol. i have major problem with this. but im still young, and it doesnt affect me much. but i know that when i grow older it will affect me. so i think, and i really should take me own advice, just try? maybe have other people remind you as well, though it may get annoying, at least youll get it done. and umm...just try. remind yourself. make yourself get away from the computer. dont even go to the computer, or anything else. umm..get a schedule? this is really just up to you. you have to take the initiative to do your work and what not.
i dont think thisll help much though. =/

I was a dork before it went mainstream
I am, unfortunately, very much obssessed with everything twilight
I am different, unique, I am me, and you cant change that
I WILL become famous one day, anyone who tells me otherwise is a liar
I am pure awesomeness
I am the coolest nerd you will ever meet...ever
I would REALLY love a bouquet of black roses.
I LURVE anime and mangas.

"When other little girls wanted to be ballerinas, I kinda wanted to be a vampire." -Vampire Kisses

Closed Thread