TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Online courses :) - July 27th 2015, 10:59 PM

I'm currently unable to work/go to college full-time due to various health problems I have. I've been looking into online courses because I get bored easily and I just want something constructive to do. I found this site which offers free courses online:

https://www.futurelearn.com

It looks pretty good The idea is to give some of those a go, see how well I do and then I may do an open university degree:

http://www.open.ac.uk/

Have you guys done anything similar? How did you find it?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Online courses :) - July 28th 2015, 12:08 AM

I've done online courses, but never the free ones. I actually like online better in most cases. As long as it's not ridiculously complicated and I can figure it out on my own I like them better because I can work at my own pace and when I feel like it. If I want to tackle several units one day and nothing the next, or i feel like starting one in what most people consider the middle of the night, I can. As long as you're organized and self-motivated you should do fine.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Online courses :) - July 28th 2015, 12:47 PM

I have!
I'm currently doing a Psychology BSc (hons) degree with the OU and it's the best choice I ever made. How positive your experience is can depend on whether you can engage with the material, as well as the level of support your assigned tutor provides. I've had a tutor who would email every week with links and articles and answer questions, she also had certain evenings where you could call her to get some help with the topics and stuff. On the other side of the spectrum I've had one who never contacted me unless I emailed to ask something and returned every one of my assignments late without contacting me.
But don't let that put you off, the OU is SUCH a positive experience and it fits in so well around daily life.

FutureLearn I have limited experience. I did a Forensic Psychology course with them in May and was just too busy with other things to finish it (although I think I still can if I want). What I did see of it was really good. The downside really is that you don't get a certificate at the end. If you complete more than 50% of the course you're doing, you can pay something like £25 for a 'certificate of participation' but it's up to you whether you want to do that or just be happy that you completed it anyway.

If you have any questions about the OU I can absolutely help so feel free to PM me!

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Online courses :) - July 28th 2015, 01:14 PM

I took a free online course on Early Childhood Education. Was amazing and really enjoyed learning something that wasn't offered at my school on the undergraduate level. It was also around the time of my hospitalization and after that time I was catching up with coursework at my university but I liked how this free course was self-paced, though it did end at one point but it kept me motivated and served as a good thing to do during study break :P
I have to admit though I had to adjust to Australian accents at first but many of TH videos are Australian so that helped

I used open2study I was also told that there is an American thing called MOOCH? I haven't tried it but I think i came across the website. There's also skillshare. I don't remember what I was looking for when I found it but I think I was hearing a lot about them and wanted to try it for myself.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Online courses :) - July 28th 2015, 02:18 PM

Thanks everybody! So happy to hear positive feedback I'm either planning on doing a Psychology degree or something I.T. related.

I'm going to be doing this course on futurelearn next month:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/nutrition-wellbeing

I know it's not really worth anything but I'm just interested in stuff like that It'll give me something to do.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Online courses :) - July 28th 2015, 08:54 PM

I started a couple of online courses but wasn't able to complete them due to losing my internet for a couple of months. Luckily they were free ones! But they seemed really good and it's something I'm interested in continuing when I have a better internet connection.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Online courses :) - July 28th 2015, 09:29 PM

Honestly, if I were you, I'd just enroll in 1 course -- if that's possible where you live. In the US, you can choose how many classes you take per semester. If I were you, I'd just enroll in a course so you get college credit. Maybe enroll a course where you have a natural inclination and interest in that would come relatively easy to you. I wouldn't enroll in a science course, or anything like that. At least not for your first course because they're very time consuming. You can also enroll in accredited online courses. Something like math might be a consideration. The online math courses, in my experience, aren't terribly difficult. I do enjoy math, though, so it might be different for you. I've found typically, however, the online courses are fairly straight forward and give they give you sufficient information to get through them. Then anything you struggle with you can use KhanAcademy or something of the sort to assist you with any missing knowledge. This way you actually get credit, and you have an actual deadline to keep you motivated.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Online courses :) - July 29th 2015, 02:44 AM

I'm currently taking a Coursera class for fun. I wouldn't take anything expecting it to transfer, but it's good for reviewing topics or learning something fun!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Online courses :) - July 29th 2015, 03:52 AM

I'm almost finished high school and I've done it all online. I'm planning to take as many college courses online as I can - I want to become a trauma therapist so I'm thinking I might need to do some classes in person.

But, like it's already been said, I prefer doing online classes. I have a horrible sleep schedule because of some life circumstances and I like the fact that I can do schoolwork at 3am if I want to. I like to pace myself and I enjoy working alone. It's more comfortable and flexible, especially because I was in therapy twice a week for a while. Oh, and I also like doing one class at a time so I can focus more on the class.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Online courses :) - July 31st 2015, 04:57 PM

I did the bachelor portion online and I loved it. I did my associates mostly in person because the lectures for online for nursing were tougher than the lecture portion. The instructors were more lenient.

I am going to do the lectures for my MSN online but obviously there is some chunks that are in person such as the clinicals or the skill days.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Halcyon Offline
Publications Team Leader

I can't get enough

Name: Haley

Re: Online courses :) - August 8th 2015, 10:24 AM

I've done a few online courses on Udemy, Stanford Online, Coursera, and FutureLearn. They're all really good if you enjoy learning for fun. However, the downside for me is that there are so many interesting courses that it can get overwhelming... So I just have to refrain from enrolling on several courses at once.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Online courses :) - August 8th 2015, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the links I've enrolled in a crap ton too :') I need to calm down a little

Closed Thread