TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Cover letters? - August 11th 2015, 09:18 PM

What are good things to write in a cover letter? I've never written one before but something I am applying for requires one.

If I PM it to anyone afterwards, would they read it over for me? But first I need tips on what to write.

Also it says for the application that it is a standard application (TBD) so I guess that means they haven't determined the full app yet. What's normally in it?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: you can call me Rina

Re: Cover letters? - August 12th 2015, 01:08 AM

Well I'm not probably the best person to ask since I've never had an job or have yet to apply for anything. So I'd would wait for someone else on TH to be able to answer your question better than I can. Sorry for all of the links I just don't want to give you the wrong advice, but I hope that someone will reply back to you. Here are some links that will be able to help you a lot on advice and tips for writing an cover letter.

https://www.themuse.com/advice/how-t...u-need-to-know

https://writing.wisc.edu/Handbook/CoverLetters.html

http://www.theguardian.com/careers/c...etter-examples
(This last link talks about standard applications)

I'll probably be here asking the same thing though in a few months, since I'm going to start applying for a few things.

I wish you luck on the whole process!

Last edited by ~Creative Disaster~; August 12th 2015 at 04:28 AM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Cover letters? - August 12th 2015, 07:49 PM

Blah, still not sure what to write! I'm scared I would make it sound too much like a resume.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Cover letters? - August 12th 2015, 11:20 PM

A resume explains who you are to a company, whereas a cover letter should explain why they should hire you. There's a distinct difference. While I realize some say not to regurgitate your resume, you should include some brief points that you think are beneficial to the company -- but in a manner that expresses your desire to work for them. I'd also research something about the companies history, or social contributions/donations/etc. Something that shows you know who they are, and what you bring to the table to further that. Something beyond general knowledge.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Cover letters? - August 12th 2015, 11:36 PM

The company is my school, I don't know if it changes things. It's a campus job working with the Wellness Center as a Peer Health Educator. So would I include stuff like since Public Health is my major, I am passionate about informing people of ways their health can be improved, and that I know it is best for students to hear it from someone their age like me?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Cover letters? - August 13th 2015, 12:38 AM

I write piles of them. I can certainly take a look

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Cover letters? - August 14th 2015, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Sparkly Queer~* View Post
The company is my school, I don't know if it changes things. It's a campus job working with the Wellness Center as a Peer Health Educator. So would I include stuff like since Public Health is my major, I am passionate about informing people of ways their health can be improved, and that I know it is best for students to hear it from someone their age like me?
EEEE THAT WAS MY JOB IN UNDERGRAD. <3

I hate cover letters, I feel like mine are so obviously forced. I wouldn't focus so much on the students helping students point, as that doesn't make you special. Talk about your own experience, maybe a time you educated somebody or made a difference for somebody, and how it's impacted your interest or something. I always end up including some story that makes me unique, such as my study abroad in India or something. Jobs have to read so many all day, it's good to make yours interesting.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Cover letters? - August 15th 2015, 02:34 AM

As coffee said, mention something you've done that's relative. I wouldn't make the focus about your major. You might tie it into the cover letter, but don't make it a main point. Especially, if you have it on your resume. By tie it in, I mean BREEZE over it. Casually mention it, but don't focus on it, because you could just change your major tomorrow. Even if you don't, or won't, they don't know that. Only you do. The main thing they want to see is that you've actively made a difference, likely. I think if you're honest, it's the best way to go. People read through the bull shit. I used to help hire, and you can spot it 300 miles away. If it's a student job, they aren't really expecting references up the ying yang, or tons of relative experience. Just tell them why you're a better candidate.

I don't know your school but I pulled this up. I'm sure your school has something similar:
http://www.sjsu.edu/wellness/peer_health_education/

"The goal of the Peer Health Education Program is to support the well-being of SJSU students. We aim to increase students' awareness and responsible decision-making regarding health and wellness. A primary objective is to recruit, train and organize students to conduct health outreach. We welcome the skills, creativity, questions, ideas and passion of all SJSU students."

So your cover letter should discuss having a passion for informing others to make responsible decisions, and indicate that you have relative skills, a sense of creativity, etc. Don't use the words exactly as described, but write a letter that covers the topics in such a manner. Only, find the one for your school.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Cover letters? - August 27th 2015, 09:37 PM

I've sent in my cover letter so I'm closing this. It wasn't due til the 25th of next month so I haven't heard anything yet. Wish me luck, I really want this!

Closed Thread