TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Resource Editor

I can't get enough

In a predicament - August 18th 2015, 04:26 PM

I'm in a predicament and need some guidance.

Currently I work for a cleaning company at $12/hr and I do enjoy some/most aspects of my job. The learning experience the labour work, the knowledge and education on carpet, couch, duct, janitoral, window, etc., cleaning. It's a wealth of knowledge. I love my boss for the most part, he's caring and kind.

The problems: it's $12/hr and I want a good raise. It's not stable hours, but it's a lot of hours. Meaning I start in the morning and don't know when I'll be done, I could be done at 8pm or later, or done in the afternoon. Depends on the day and jobs.
I need a stable job that commits to my needs, the hourly rate is way too low, unstable hours so I can't have a life.

Positives: I can book time off with no problems, more accommodating and understanding, I can easily go to Mental Health groups and counseling.

With that I am on the fence and I mean I'm at the top of an electrical fence being stunned - problem. (metaphor)

I had an interview with a construction company this morning. It went very well. I won't find out if I got the job till now till August 31. I would be starting at $15/hr begin at 7am and be done at 3pm. Weekends we work 4 hours. I then asked if they offer apprenticeship programs and they do: Health and Safety/Labour. When I found out I fell in love on the spot it's always what I wanted. My end goal is be a Health and Safety expert on construction sites. I also can apply to endless Government funds and bonuses since I am a female. Very good opportunities. After I move up and can be making $18/hr.

Problem: I would need to cut my time in treatment to be at work. But I think I can work around it. Since I'm done at 3pm I can always go to counseling at 4pm. My only problem is the whole my treatment dedication I'm focusing more and more on lately.

I'm faced with challenges for both. I want to go forward with the construction company when they offer me a position then soon after I'll be applying to apprenticeship with the Government and then apply to endless grants.
The cleaning company doesn't have those options at all, they don't have benefits... or anything for promotions.

I do need to focus on my Mental Health and ensure I'm healthy and doing well, I know this will be a step forward. I am stuck. I know I don't know if I got the position and shouldn't get myself worked up until I know for sure.

Not sure what to do or how to approach this...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: In a predicament - August 26th 2015, 09:44 AM

Hey there,

That sounds like a tough decision to make, but it's clear you are weighing up the pros and cons- which is great!

Have you talked to your counsellor about the potential new job with the construction company? I think it might help a bit if you could talk and come up with a plan for treatment that fits around work, without having to cut down on the amount of time you dedicate for treatment. You are completely right about making sure you are healthy and putting your needs first.

Honestly, I think that the construction company would be a good change. I don't know about you, but personally, I feel that routine and stable work hours helps my mental health. If you do get the job, what about asking them how they accommodate mental health issues or how much time are you allowed off for sick days, etc.? Hopefully that way you can be reassured that they will be just as accepting of you as they are in your cleaning job.

For the time being, try not to stress over it. Best of luck for the 31st!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: In a predicament - August 26th 2015, 06:15 PM

I'd try to work around the treatment schedule and take a new job. If you aren't progressing anywhere presently, then there's no need to really stay. You need to think about your future which is in the job you love, with a stable mind. Your treatments, I'm sure, will be able to be more flexible than your job schedule. I'm confused why it gets in the way of your treatments, though. It seems like you'll have better hours, which would provide more flexibility for scheduling your treatments. You'll have consistent schedules, hours, and pay. I think overall that would provide an even greater amount of satiety. Also, I don't know if it's the same in Canada, but you can let your employers know if you have a mental illness that needs to be addressed. This way if work performance every becomes an issue because of your mental illness, you are protected, as they have to respect it. Obviously, you, yourself, want to be mentally stable. But, if you want to pursue this direction, you need to take a leap at some point and not over worry about what MIGHT happen. Take precautions, and make sure you can still go to treatments. Beyond that, don't worry about it if this is where you want to be.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Closed Thread