TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Issue with one of my Physics classes... what should I do? - September 16th 2015, 01:11 PM

Hey everyone,

I am having an issue with one of my Professors. And it isn't just me, it's the majority of the class with relatively few exceptions. I really don't know what to do. The issue I am having is he covers a weeks worth of material in one class. After covering the material, he expects all of the homework from that class to be due our next class. The problem? I have class from 7am-8pm that night. He assigns about 6 hours of homework -- PROVIDED you understand the material. If you don't, it takes much longer. Which leads to the other issue. His lectures do not cover physics concepts at all. He essentially grabs a laser pointer and points at pre-worked problems. He says, "These are the equations you'll need." And then rambles on about how we need free body diagrams, etc. but doesn't even cover the ideas enough to be able to draw the FBDs for the topic.

So, on top of covering a ridiculous amount of material half-assly, assigning several hours of homework, and me having no understanding of it, I can't even contact him. His office hours our during my class hours, and he doesn't respond to e-mail. When I ask him for help in class, he pretty much regurgitates what he said during lecture with remarks like, "Oh, this is easy..." But, it's not just me that's lost. My classmates are as well, and they can't even help when I ask if they understood the material.

The last problem I have are the tutors. The tutors at my satellite campus are notoriously awful. When I go to them for help, they can't draw the FBD, or even derive the answers. They typically just get a solutions manual out and say, "OHHH, DO THIS." Which doesn't help reinforce any concepts.

I'd drop this course, but I live in Texas, and I will get a W on my transcript, which you can only have 6 in Texas or your tuition goes up astronomically. I don't have any now, but I really don't want to get one. And even if I chose to withdraw, I'd look my financial aid and scholarships, which means I wouldn't be able to survive until December.

I'm really at a loss of what to do. I am a 4.0 student, and I really don't want my GPA to start suffering because of one shitty professor.

I've literally cried several times, and have had either a migraine or tension headache the past 2 weeks because of this class. And it's only one class... I have other courses to worry about as well. =/ sigh

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Issue with one of my Physics classes... what should I do? - September 16th 2015, 04:43 PM

In my experience (and I've had more than enough) when you start crying and having physical symptoms, it's time to drop. I know you don't want to, but it would save your GPA and you haven't had a W yet. I think it's better than suffering and then failing. I said I didn't want any Ws either and ended up with 3 only one wasn't really a choice they said withdraw or fail on purpose. Talk to financial aid and your advisor. If you aren't the only one struggling, it's worth mentioning it may or may not make a difference, if it's really an option your considering, just watch out for the deadline.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Issue with one of my Physics classes... what should I do? - September 18th 2015, 10:15 AM

You should see if your school has a "grade forgiveness" policy as well. I'm in Florida and my University lets us retake two failed classes to totally replace the grade we got the first time. I would also suggest going to the head of the department or whoever it is who handles problems at your school. If you have enough proof and enough student backing, they should at least try to do something about it.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

Closed Thread