TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Deciding what university/moving out? - October 8th 2015, 10:05 PM

Itís time for one of those threads

As you may, or may not know, I plan on undertaking a teacher training course. Anyway, this is postgraduate study and is mainly the same in every university: ĺ school placement, ľ university study. The only things that may differ is what you study in university. In the application, I can apply for 3 universities. If I reject all my offers, or donít get an offer, I can apply for 2 more in January.

So, my optionsÖ.

In Wales, there are only 3 universities that offer this course. One is up North, which I doubt Iíll apply for because itís 7-8 hours train journey away. Another isnít too far away from me, but at the same time, Iíve not heard good things about it and itís the last but one on the league tables. So Iím unsure about that one.

The other is the university that I went to for my undergraduate degree. Iíll probably apply there. But I have a choice of living at home or moving out (any other university I would have to move out). For my undergraduate degree, I lived at home, for all 3 years. Moving out seemed scary and I didnít even know if I could afford it. However, Iím now in a different position. I know that I could afford to move out and rent. But Iím still unsure. Part of me wants to move out because this house really stresses me out and is pretty much a reminder of my childhood (not the best mind set to be in when you want to be in the Ďteacherí frame of mind). Also, Iím 75% sure that if I lived at home, the university would send me to a school that I would prefer to avoid for my emotional/mental healthís sake (Iíd rather not give all the details here ). I also used to envy my friends as they could get home faster than I could when I was travelling. But at the same time, I have no life skills like cooking or cleaning, paying bills etc. and no-one to ask about these things either. I wouldnít like the idea of renting with strangers (other students) if I donít know them first. I prefer quieter people and I donít trust easily. I thought maybe I would be ok if I could rent by myself but a) not many places allow that and b) I get anxious when Iím in MY house by myself. Plus, might I get lonely?

My friend is also applying for teacher training but for high school, whereas I want to do primary school. She didnít fancy staying in Wales, so she looked at universities in England and she was telling me about them. There is one university in England, that isnít too far away, that is a possible option. But I would have to move out and ideally, I would be living with my friend (we talked about it, casually, before). However, I know things donít always go to plan and Iím unsure about applying there as if my friend doesnít get onto the course, Iím not sure I would still go there as I would have to move out.

This teacher training course is also really stressful. Itís not like undergraduate at all, and when they tell you to say goodbye to your social life (well, I donít have one anyway ), they actually mean it. Iím scared that if I took the chance of moving out, that I would find it stressful and this would affect my performance on the course. If I went to England, I would either have to stick it out or drop out, if I found the living situations to be stressful, as I can't just move back home and carry on with the course. And Iím paying for the course too, so it's my money on the line too.

Iím not even sure what Iím asking here as it sounds like Iíve already made half-decisions. Any words of wisdom? Anyone been in a similar situation or anyone taken the leap of faith and moved out even if it was scary?

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Last edited by Celyn; October 13th 2015 at 05:41 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Deciding what university/moving out? - October 18th 2015, 12:13 AM

I don't find moving scary. I don't like having my daily routine disrupted and having to re-establish them in new surroundings, I also really hate dealing with the bureaucracy and logistics, but overall I see mobility as a gift. The new place is a fresh slate, giving us an opportunity to redefine ourselves, as well as access opportunities for growth that the old place can't provide.

The stuff about living alone and household skills - we all have to learn it eventually. I'm not sure that it's going to feel less daunting in the future if it feels really daunting now. Maybe there won't be the pressure of going to school at the same time or whatever for people who do it later on, but there IS the pressure of the larger social context. People expect us to have learned these things much earlier, and that expectation affects us subconsciously. It can make us harder on ourselves, afraid to ask for help, etc.

Go to the best school - teaching wise, career opportunities wise. It'll open more doors - not that you necessarily need to take them - but having the widest range of options helps.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Hiraeth 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread