TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
emilypond123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Failed My Calc Test - October 12th 2015, 02:47 PM

So I'm a senior in high school, and the nine weeks is almost over (will be over on the 16th, this Friday) and I have a 75 in my AP calc class. I had a B before which I was fine with, but i just failed the last test badly. Anxiety is eating up my insides because I'm applying for colleges now, and they'll see my transcripts and if my teacher doesn't put in any more substantial grades I'll have a C for the nine weeks (which is half a semester in Texas).

I don't know what to do, because I also need to rejoin Mu Alpha Theta (MAO) a club at school and I need at least a B in an AP class, and they start handing out forms next week.

As for college and stuff, my other grades are ok, I have 2 other B's and the rest are A's. This one grade is bothering me because I've never failed a test like this, and I've never had a C recorded on my transcript, I've always brought the grades back up in time. I've asked my teacher to somehow replace the grade but she's pretty strict so I doubt she will let me.

Sorry for the long post but I need advice on how to deal with the stress plus what to do about fixing the grade. Plus I'm a senior so my grades will be locked in at the end of the first semester (the 2nd nine weeks). This grade is killing me :/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Failed My Calc Test - October 13th 2015, 05:06 PM

Hey Emily,

I will give you some advise but, first, listen. While this is easier said than done, try not to stress too much about it. If things go awry it's not the end of the world. I'm sure you have a preference to how you want your life to turn out, but life is often filled with issues where our ideal doesn't always happen. Trust me, whatever you plan on doing, in the end this little hiccup won't matter much. Even if it seems like the end of the world right now. I promise. It won't affect your overall life, education, or income. It's hard to feel like this is true when you're experiencing anxiety and stress because you're so focused on the issue at hand that it's difficult to see the big picture.

Second, what test specifically was this over? Limits, derivatives, applications, derivatives? Calculus isn't like other math. It can take upwards of 16 hours of studying per week, and it is ALL applicable. If you forgot something at the beginning of the semester, YOU NEED TO REVIEW IT. You can't just forget it like you could in previous courses. If it was because of your algebra, maybe look at your previous algebra tests or the review section in your calculus book.

The most important advise I can give is make sure you spend extra time studying for Calculus, but do not over do it. Study in 30 minute intervals with a 5 minute break. Don't exceed 3 hours of studying, and then go focus on something else.

Apart from your teacher replacing a grade, ask if there is anything you can do to make up that 5% to bring it to a 'B'. See if maybe you can retake it. Explain your situation to her, and maybe she will work with you.

If she doesn't work with you, don't worry about it. I understand the stress your going through. I am living in Texas, as well. I know the stress of wanting to get into UT or A&M, or wherever. But, look... if you don't get in, there are other ways. UT and A&M pull from Austin Community College. And ACC is significantly cheaper. Not only that, but you get the same education. In fact, the Physics department at UT uses the Rio Grande ACC campus as a satellite campus for them. Meaning UT students are using ACC professors.

If all else fails and you don't get into your preferred school, it won't affect you over all. Whatever you want to do, a degree is only a certificate that opens doors. It's portfolios, skills, and experience that matter long term. You might not graduate making 60-80K graduating from a school like Texas State, but with a proper portfolio and a couple years experience, it is attainable. Easily.

In fact, there are other schools like St. Edwards, or Southwestern that are great private schools. Going to ACC and maintaining a 3.6 GPA gives you automatic acceptance.

My point is, try not to feel like this is the end of the world. When you're older and you look back on this you'll see it's not such a big deal. Failure breeds success. No scientist became famous without failure. The difference was they didn't give up. So, don't let 1 grade force you to give up. Instead, use it as fuel to succeed.

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” – Thomas A. Edison
“Show me a thoroughly satisfied man and I will show you a failure.” – Thomas A. Edison
“Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.” – Henry Ford
“Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
“Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.” – Winston Churchill

Failure is part of the human condition. Don't let it discourage you.
Good luck.

Also, if you're not understanding something in Calculus, YouTube PatrickJMT.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Closed Thread