TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

scary project. must be accurate. chance to do an alternstive project without penalty. - October 26th 2015, 04:37 AM

I'm a sociology major and I've done observations but I've done qualitative field work so far. I looked at quantitative data but haven't collected it raw myself-atleast not in social research. (II've done natural science projects and lab etc)

For my social research class each person was assigned a subway line, a time of day and a weekend or weekday. I got M line, evenings weekdays.

I was about to get the C train originally which now that I think of it was a mistake to have asked for a switch. But I did and now I'm stuck with it. I mean either line is inconvenient but I guess I thought the m would be more doable. Either way it is extremely time consuming because I have to go out of my route on certain days and other days I have to go extra stops

nonetheless I tried to collected data. I have to count people who do certain behaviors that were specifically campaigned against.and I must count males and females separately and how many are sitting and how many are standing, in addition to 3 other behaviors and 2 yes or no questions.
I must do this for every stop of the trip as long as it fits the criteria (if I have evenings, that's 4-8 pm so I cannot collect data at 3:59 or 8:01 etc)

Now my problem is that this is very difficult for me. I am slow at counting and there's the added pressure to not make it obvious because if the passengers are aware, that ruins the data. It is also difficult when people are getting off and coming in, to have to count all over because I don't know these faces so I have trouble doing it the shortcut way of just paying attention to the changes. I have to count all over again every time .

My dad told me to make up the data
My sister told me in a sarcastic voice "Boohoo you have such a hard life...but seriously that sounds so easy" and thiswas 3 minutes after her complaining about her oral presentation but whatever -.-

See so not many people get how hard this is for me

I'm allowed to ask others to help out as long as I have 40 segments (stop 1-stop2 is one segment)
By November 12th

I also have the option for an alternative project without a penalty but I'm afraid to go that route in case it is even harder.

Any tips?
I'm trying again tomorrow after breaking into tears on Friday.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: scary project. must be accurate. chance to do an alternstive project without penalty. - October 26th 2015, 05:42 AM

I would suggest asking someone to help you before going for the alternative. I would try again with help and if it's still too much for you, ask for the alternative before you run out of time to finish either option. Or you can ask what the alternative is and see if it would be better.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: scary project. must be accurate. chance to do an alternstive project without penalty. - October 26th 2015, 11:20 AM

Reminds me of my dissertation actually In fact, many of the supervisors advised against doing observations because they are so hard to do. I definitely agree with asking people to help out- that should make it easier for you. Is it possible to find out what the alternative is as well?

As for your sister, you could show her this. That might change her mind on how easy it is to observe others

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: scary project. must be accurate. chance to do an alternstive project without penalty. - October 26th 2015, 04:59 PM

I am going to try again today and work my way from there. My father told me he will help me out with it. He promises we will have 30 by next week but I am too scared to trust so I will continue doing them and make sure I have a back up plan instead of relying on my dad. But I am thankful he finally seems to understand I can't just make up data and it isn't about what we think, it's about what we observe even if it conflicts with our judgments of what ought to be.

Thank you both, I do appreciate it!
PS Holly, that video is perfect. Thank you

Closed Thread