TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
remedy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Post What do you think about plagiarism checking tools? - October 30th 2015, 12:52 PM

At colleges and schools so much often plagiarism detection software is used (Turnitin, Unplag...) But don't you think that usage of that kind tools could, on the contrary, contribute to killing the creativity in writing?

In my opinion, students are more worried about the ways of cheating this software, than concentrating on writing. Everyone knows that not a long time ago, it was not hard just to replace some "i" to Cyrillic characters and it would help to make the originality of your text much higher even if it was copy pasted. I'm sure that nowadays there are still many possible ways of cheating.

For me as a teacher and (I believe!) in the near future a publicist, it's still very offensive to realize how much careless are current students now.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: What do you think about plagiarism checking tools? - October 30th 2015, 09:14 PM

I think that plagiarism stuff is sooo important because so many people do cheat or steal other peoples writing; that's obviously not ok and people shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

It's one thing if you innocently copied something into your paper and thought it was "obvious" that you were talking about Einstein's theory of relativity, but I know people who will steal entire papers or knowingly don't cite where they got their work from. As someone who went to university for 6 years, I know it is really possible to generate original, thoughtful and intelligent writing based on factual, scientific data without cheating. I think that some people are just lazy as hell and shouldn't be allowed to get away from it.

With that said, I don't think plagiarism should be something that'll haunt you forever; if you did fuck up, you should learn from it and just simply don't do it again; there is literally no need to. People with mental illnesses and learning disabilities, full time jobs, children and so on all manage to write original papers despite having things happening in their lives that might take time away from writing the paper, but they still do it without cheating, while I see other people just being duplicious and pathetic lazy asses stealing other people's work for kicks because they decided to spend the weekend getting drunk for kicks instead of taking their education seriously, what ever, maybe those people deserve to be kicked out of school if they're that incredibly moronic.

The thing that always makes me nervous about things like Turnitin is that there are only so many ways to say something differently, especially if your writing about a common topic (e.g. Women's suffrage). So I always worried about getting a really awful anal prof who wouldn't be reasonable enough to recognize the degree to which I can say something differently and wave the plagiarism flag despite the obvious reality that I wrote the sentence differently OR the obvious fact that I was sourcing a paraphrased paragraph, not a mere sentence. Fortunately I never had to deal with a prof who was that dimwitted or idiotic.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: What do you think about plagiarism checking tools? - October 30th 2015, 09:40 PM

You can be plenty creative without stealing, I don't think that's the issue; and though I'm sure it happens, people are usually more focused on finishing assignments than worrying about cheating a system. The only annoying thing is that you have to be careful to only submit once or your whole paper comes back plagiarized and it's also an extra step which is kind of a pain. I only used it for 2 years in high school, once I got to college I never used it again. Most teachers and professors give some leway in terms of the colors like "include direct quotes, so those will come up plagiarized, but as long as you cite them it's fine" etc.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: What do you think about plagiarism checking tools? - October 31st 2015, 11:33 AM

I don't think plagiarism software quashes creativity at all. I used turnitin for my entire degree, and never had any problems. When I was writing an essay, I used plenty of quotes and references, from both primary and secondary sources. I came up with my own arguments and looked for references to back up my ideas. My friends were much more concerned about the similarity/originality score on turnit, just because sometimes there are only so many ways to phrase things that people will end up using similar sentences. For example, in my dissertation, one of the sentences that was highlighted, was actually in my own words, but was highlighted as part of another students essay in a different university. Even though I don't know anyone in that university or read any student written work from that university either. We never thought about cheating the system though- we just wanted to get the essays done

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread