TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Haley Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Haley

Angry I am so stressed out about college! - May 14th 2009, 03:16 AM

So I live in Alabama and I'm about to be a senior in high school. My plans are to attend troy university, an in state college, and I'm going to commute. It's an hour away. My mom and I constantly argue about it and I just end up crying because she treats me like a child while were discussing MY future. I only have a 24 on my ACT and a 3.5 gpa so I don't thing I'm eligible for man scholarships or grants. I plan to be in their band but is there some scholarship that will completely cover tuition so that I can live in their dorms and take out student loans for that? I can't commute an hour every day for four years!

Give me something to believe in
a breath from the breathing
so write it down
I don't think that I'll close my eyes
'cause lately I'm not dreaming
so what's the point in sleeping?
it's just that at night
I've got nowhere to hide.
  Send a message via AIM to Haley Send a message via MSN to Haley Send a message via Yahoo to Haley  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
sushi_error Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I am so stressed out about college! - May 14th 2009, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley View Post
So I live in Alabama and I'm about to be a senior in high school. My plans are to attend troy university, an in state college, and I'm going to commute. It's an hour away. My mom and I constantly argue about it and I just end up crying because she treats me like a child while were discussing MY future. I only have a 24 on my ACT and a 3.5 gpa so I don't thing I'm eligible for man scholarships or grants. I plan to be in their band but is there some scholarship that will completely cover tuition so that I can live in their dorms and take out student loans for that? I can't commute an hour every day for four years!
Since you will be a senior next year, you should consider retaking the ACT this coming June or in the fall. I am sure you will be able to improve your score and your GPA is above-average!

All schools offer scholarships, merit aid, financial aid, etc., so you should definitely contact the school(s) you are interested in and ask them about it. Best of luck with your decision! Everything will work out.

Check out my blog: White-Out Blots

How did Mandela get the will to surpass the everyday,
When injustice had him caged and trapped in every way,
How did Ghandi ever withstand the hunger strikes and all,
Didn't do it to gain power or money if I recall,
It's to give; I guess I'll pass it on

- Take a Minute, K'naan

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: I am so stressed out about college! - May 15th 2009, 02:09 AM

Each university has different scholarships that they offer so you'll have to look up the ones your university offers. If they do offer ones to cover full tuition, then there's likely to be around one offered per year and you'll need the highest marks and such. Student loans you can do without scholarships as well as applying for tuition funding (depends on how much your parents earn). However, do understand that living in dorms is very expensive. If you want the least expensive way, then stay at home and commute.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: I am so stressed out about college! - May 15th 2009, 02:35 AM

Maybe commuting won't be that bad. I live an hour and a half from UBC, and I have to go there every day. I didn't find it so bad. If you're taking transit, you can have some time to sleep or read on the way, and if you're driving, you get some time to yourself.

You could also consider a car pool.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#5 (permalink)) Old
silentmuffin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I am so stressed out about college! - May 16th 2009, 06:24 PM

If you still have a year of high school left, you can take the ACT again, and still have plenty of time to raise your GPA (not that you need to, because 3.5 is really good). Almost all colleges offer scholarships. Check the college's website (http://www.troy.edu/financialaid/availscholar.htm) and see if you can find any that you qualify for, or may be able to qualify for during your senior year. You can also check out http://www.fastweb.com for other scholarships, most of which you have to write an essay for. You can also see if your senators/delegates offer scholarships. Check the government website for your county or state and see if you can find info on your representatives and if they offer scholarships.

There are other options besides scholarships. If you file a FAFSA you might get some federal loans or grants, and you can always do work-study getting a job on the college campus.

Driving an hour to school is a pain, but it is possible. If it's your only option in the end, then grin and bear it, at least for the first year. You can always commute during your freshman year and continue to look for scholarships, or work and save up some money so you can live on campus the next year.

Aš tave myliu, Nanny. I'm carrying your love with me.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: I am so stressed out about college! - May 18th 2009, 05:56 PM

Troy is definitely pretty serious about their band, and I'm pretty sure they offer some sort of scholarship if you audition and are succsesful. [I live in Alabama too, by the way, I'll definitely talk to you about my experiences choosing an instate college over the course of the past year, if you'd like to PM me sometime about that or add me on MSN. I'd tell you here, but I don't want to give people any hint of where I'll be attending college next year on a completely public internet forum. =P

You definitely need to take your ACT again. When I took it my junior year, I got a 29, but when I took it the summer after my junior year, I got a 33. So, that could definitely help you. A 3.5 isn't bad. I'm sure you could get a little bit of tuition waived with that. Good luck.

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: I am so stressed out about college! - May 18th 2009, 06:36 PM

I will echo some other people here and say to take the act's again. I only have a 3.1 GPA but I got 32 on ACT, plus I hear it is always easier the second time. So if you have a 3.5 GPA, you should definitely get a better grade on the ACT's next time. A 24 on the ACT's doesn't really match up with your grades.

Closed Thread