TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sen Vanos Offline
That One Guy
Not a n00b

Name: Sen

Update on Math problems - November 30th 2015, 11:52 AM

Okay, I've become better at Calculus, but it's still hard.

BUT I JUST REALIZED WHAT I DO WRONG WITH GEOMETRY AND ALGORITHM.

I never read the question! Well, of course I do but if it says some thing like "Arnold is going weightlifting. He puts two dumbbells of 5 kg and 2 weights of 10 kg on in. The barbell also weighs 20 kg by itself.

How much does Arnold's weight weigh?"

And guess what? I FORGET TO ADD THE 20. These are very simple things, but I just make mistakes. Why? I DON'T KNOW.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Update on Math problems - November 30th 2015, 05:28 PM

Hey there Sen,
I can totally understand the miscalculation or misreading the question, especially for math word problems! All the years I took math I would make careless mistakes. Something I learned is to underline keywords in the word problem and/or draw a picture to illustrate the scenario. Sometimes reading the word problem multiple times can help as well because the first time around our eyes may miss some parts. If you are unsure of a question, you can also mark it and return to it and breeze through the easier ones. Also don't forget to double check answers, especially for the equation type of questions where you can know you got the right answer if you are able to plug it in and get the expected answer.

It is great that you've figured out what you got wrong and I'm glad to hear you're doing better in Calculus! that's a great achievement.

I wish you best of luck in figuring these math questions! I'm sure with practice you'll find that you're making less mistakes.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Sen Vanos Offline
That One Guy
Not a n00b

Name: Sen

Re: Update on Math problems - December 5th 2015, 10:22 AM

It isn't like I'm bad at maths, but I'm just terrible at basic algorithm. And calculus. And geometry to a certain extent. The rest I'm okay at. I think. I got an A or two... but that's about it. The rest are all B's, which are okay, I guess.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Update on Math problems - December 6th 2015, 05:11 PM

A lot of times the problem with word problems isn't the math. It's the reading comprehension. You have to determine what information you need in order to solve your problem, which can be tricky. The best way to tackle word problems is to read the LAST sentence FIRST so you know what you are looking for. Then, as you read, write every number that relates to that last question. Then read the question one more time, and solve. This way you don't miss any relevant information, and you simplify the question by writing out only the essentials. I'm glad to hear its going better for you, though. If you're doing well in math, but not so well on these types of problems, maybe try increasing your reading comprehension. I found that reading comprehension becomes more important 99% of the time, especially in physics related problems. Truthfully, when it comes to physics, the math is easy. It's comprehending what is essential that's difficult. Once you figure that out, it's easy.

I mean look at your problem you posted. You realized that the problem is easy. It's just figuring out what's essential, separating it from the rest of the wording, and then the rest follows easily. Sometimes I find it helps to underline relevant information. Especially since some Professors/Teachers try to use tricky wording. But in reality, this idea of reading comprehension is essential to any problem you're solving. It's annoying, but reality. When you encounter any REAL issue in REAL life, you're not only going to be given essential information like 2+2. Your problem is going to be LITTERED with information, and you need to figure out what is necessary. You're not going to be given 2+2=?. For example, if you go to the store and buy some weekly groceries and you also buy ingredients to make chocolate chip cookies. You purchase everything. You want to figure out how much you spent on cookie ingredients. Well, you're going to have to separate what ingredients you purchased for cookies from the rest of your groceries, and then add it up. This is, of course, a really simple example, but it's how problem solving works.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Closed Thread