TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Question Problems! - January 13th 2009, 07:58 PM

Hey ya'll, it's Omar the Lobster/Bernadette. But now I'm all into French vocab. Derp.

Anyway, just so you can get a hold of the situation, let me go on a bit about the history that has been missed out on.
I went to VA for my freshman year of college, and it was great, but the college scene isn't for me, as it turns out. So I came back home to Dirty Jersey and attended a local community college until my eyes bled from the unbearable pain. So I applied to The Academy of Art University online and didn't think I'd get in at all, but as it turns out... I did. Fancy that!
I'm terribly excited, but there are a few things making me very cautious about this new adventure.

1). Mom needs to fax the financial aid award papers to my school ASAP so I can buy a lappy for myself and get some books that are required for the class.

2). We live on dial-up internet. I know, it's wretched. Also tacked onto this, our phone provider just told us that it's going to shut off our phone any day now, which eliminates dial-up to begin with, and we already owe another internet provider $300. Mom is currently unemployed, due to my state's governor being a huge prick and cutting thousands of state jobs JUST as my mom got her bachelor's in Criminal Justice last year. So we're poor, and I've the only job -- at a restaurant, which is doing very badly and my boss just cut my hours. Mom also told me that if I want faster internet, I have to foot half the bill, but with my job being so unreliable, I don't know if I can do that!

3). I have NO SPACE TO WORK. And I mean it, there's no exaggeration -- we live in a tiny apartment where the rent is already outrageous, and every single bit of space is taken up. I've been trying to plan out where I could possibly do my work without things being in the way, where I can store my supplies where my 7 year old sister won't get to them, but it seems like a futile mission.

I've been trying to save up to move out, but lately, with the instability and unreliability of my job, I'm afraid to take the plunge. I have people who have on and off expressed interest in moving into an apartment with me, but they're so busy that I can't get a hold of them it seems. That, and I have no money saved because of various serious incidences which cost me everything I had in savings. I have family that would be more than happy to house me and let me mooch their internet, but my 7 year old BROTHER is just about as insane as my 7 year old sister (different moms). Then there's the option of staying with my grandparents. My only issue with staying with family is that I would probably have to severely limit my usual freedoms, like going out until the wee hours of the morning, having people over at odd hours to hang out and watch movies, playing music loud enough for me to actually hear, make food in the middle of the night, etc. These are all things that are part of my regular operating schedule, and others would find this very annoying or very rude.

So help me out, TH; what should I do?

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jaymz404 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: James

Re: Problems! - January 13th 2009, 08:01 PM

Sacrfice a bit of your freedom so you can study, and once you go to the uni take back your freedoms.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Problems! - January 13th 2009, 08:32 PM

As much as you probably don't want to give up your "freedoms", I would really suggest moving in with your grandparents. That way, you money can be saved and you will have room to study. When it comes to uni, giving up your making food in the middle of the night and going out until the wee hours, etc seems pretty unimportant.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Re: Problems! - January 13th 2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittneyNicole View Post
As much as you probably don't want to give up your "freedoms", I would really suggest moving in with your grandparents. That way, you money can be saved and you will have room to study. When it comes to uni, giving up your making food in the middle of the night and going out until the wee hours, etc seems pretty unimportant.
Yeah, I know exactly what you're saying. They're not absolute priority, and I would be willing to give them up until I can get my own place and all. It just sucks that I have to give them up at all. I love midnight foodstuffs! /whine

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Problems! - January 13th 2009, 09:06 PM

I'm sure you could go sneak some food in the middle of the night, as long as you are quiet. I do that when I'm home from uni. At uni, I work nights so I'm up at odd hours and get hungry and so I'll eat at like.. 1am. At home, I just make sure that I am really quiet.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
Closed Thread