TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The Sloth Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exploring career options - December 23rd 2015, 02:15 PM

Hey

I'm in my senior year of school and need to think about what I want to do when I leave. At the moment I want to study a double degree in business and psychology but don't know what I want to do with that when I finish.

I really like being able to talk people through different situations and help them see other possible points of view so I would love to go into being a professional therapist. There's just one issue, I get really sick of people sometimes (frequently).

On the other hand, I like the logic and predictability of business and numbers - so would also love to go into something like accounting. The problem with that, I get bored of routine easily and need to change things up often.

Does anyone know if there is a way I could do both? Like work as a part time therapist two or three days a week and be an accountant on the other days? It'd be cool if that was actually a potential thing!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Exploring career options - December 23rd 2015, 06:28 PM

I don't think it's possible to do both. You might want to look into I/O (industrial/organizational) psychology. They study people in the workplace and can also help employers and businesses solve real-world problems.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Exploring career options - December 24th 2015, 04:22 AM

If you open a private therapy practice, you'll be a therapist and a business owner

But I was going to second what Katie said. There's therapists who specialize in helping employees resolve conflict.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Exploring career options - December 24th 2015, 10:40 AM

I think Katie and Susan's ideas are probably the closest you are going to get, unless someone else can think of things.

Since you like talking to people and helping them, you might want to look into volunteering in your spare time. That way then, you can still help people, but it would be in your time, and probably more flexible than a therapist, so you wouldn't have to worry about getting burned out talking to loads of people. TeenHelp is always looking for more volunteers. If you are interested, you can view more information here. Otherwise, I'm sure there are many other organisations, both online and offline that are looking volunteers, which could be another way of trying to get the best of both worlds!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Exploring career options - January 3rd 2016, 11:20 AM

Eh, to be honest I had no idea what I wanted to do when I was entering school. I changed my major a dozen times. I would start planning for a general degree and a school that is low cost if you are in states. Most degrees require you to take some English, math, and science. I would take one or two classes of both. I enjoyed psych but realized the career options are slim (it was number 1 or 2 most popular major at Ohio State and I think it kept on flipping back and forth with Business).

I realized that the odds of having a career with it were slim so I started looking at health care. I was thinking about becoming a lab tech but instead became a nurse. I am now an RN in an ER and I am studying to become an advance practice RN. And with nursing I have so many options.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Exploring career options - January 4th 2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sloth View Post
Hey

I'm in my senior year of school and need to think about what I want to do when I leave. At the moment I want to study a double degree in business and psychology but don't know what I want to do with that when I finish.

I really like being able to talk people through different situations and help them see other possible points of view so I would love to go into being a professional therapist. There's just one issue, I get really sick of people sometimes (frequently).

On the other hand, I like the logic and predictability of business and numbers - so would also love to go into something like accounting. The problem with that, I get bored of routine easily and need to change things up often.

Does anyone know if there is a way I could do both? Like work as a part time therapist two or three days a week and be an accountant on the other days? It'd be cool if that was actually a potential thing!
Have you ever considered economics? You get to deal with statistics, probability, logic, and predicting trends of human behavior. Seems like a decent way to combine your interests. It's also a very marketable degree, assuming you're going beyond 4 years. If you don't love being around people, I'd recommend against psychology. It's not a great field for income, so unless you're in love with it, it isn't a great career. Accounting is also a great field, but you're correct on the monotony of it. However, if you want to do something in business, outside of economics, an accounting major can do EVERYTHING any business major does (including finance), but better. Plus, you can always become a CPA. Money is decent, and accountants are always needed. Even in recession. But if routine isn't your thing, I'd look for something else. If I were doing business I'd going into Economics or Management in Information Systems (this is typically a business degree -- you'll have to get a lot of certificates on top of it, but it'd be far from routine). An MIS degree is IT for businesses. But you'd be travelling a lot, learning about different software, helping people understand their new software, etc. You'd being doing something different every day, and the money is decent. Only downside is potential outsourcing, and I've heard there is some age discrimination.

And, of course, I'm a little biased in this manner, but if you like logic and predictability, have you considered an engineering field? I have no clue, but you may be interested in civic engineering. It's obviously different than what you recommended, but if you like logic, engineering is a great direction to go. Really, anything physics related. Physics is all about predictions using logic. Engineering is just applying that physics, so it's more practical. Job prospects are great, income is great, and female engineers are greatly needed. You could potentially even go to school for free. Just something to consider. If I were your age again I'd think of something that I can put up with, and make money in. Why? Because money provides opportunity. I'm not saying money is everything, but... let me expound a little bit.

Say you major in English. Since the job market is saturated you land a job making about $35,000/yr. After awhile, say about 5 years, you begin to loathe this job, and you feel you're worth more than $35,000/yr. You haven't even finished paying off your student loans and yet you decide you want to return to school to become a nurse. Well, now you're only making $35,000/yr, something that is difficult to sustain a middle class life on, and you can't afford going back to school. So, now you have to pick up a second job in order to return to school. You're now working 80-100 hrs/wk to make 45-70k a year just to be able to go back to school.

Now rewind the situation.

You major in Engineering. The job market is forgiving for you. You land a job making 70-85K a year DIRECTLY OUT OF SCHOOL. You stay there 5 years, make around 100k. You decide you don't like engineering. Your student loans are payed off. You even have some savings put aside. You now have a greater opportunity to return to school to major in whatever you want. Not to mention, with an engineering undergrad, you are eligible for pretty much any graduate program. Even unrelated programs.

I made a mistake similar to the first one. I strongly advise the second route, from experience. Don't rush into a major just because you have a fleeting interest in it. Do something that you can bear for a few years, that has marketability, and a decent wage. Money isn't everything. But it provides opportunity. Also, I'm not saying engineering is your best choice, but rather, just choose something that fulfills those requirements. You'll be a lot better off than if you follow your heart. There's always time for that later, so long as you have the opportunity to make it happen. Interests are always subject to change. So just choose something you can be content with long term. Your interests won't always stay the same. So if you base your major on that, you'll never graduate.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Last edited by ThisWillDestroyYou; January 4th 2016 at 02:56 PM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
l3hub Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Exploring career options - January 6th 2016, 01:20 AM

Agree with Kate on I/O as it touches on both organizational and psychological aspects.

Having said that, there are many options that you can go to. If you want to do business and psychology, just go ahead.

One thing to note is our preferences and priorities change over time as we expose ourselves to more experiences and the society. What you want now may change in future. The core point is to keep yourself open to opportunities

I've gone from dead sure about engineering to studying business and then project management. I have been in the same industry for years but I took on various roles including project management, commercial executive and dealing with operational side of the business.

The world is full of possibilities. Perhaps one day you might be able to start just what you mentioned. Never say never.

L≥ Hub - Live. Learn. Laugh
l3hub.org
  Send a message via Skype™ to l3hub 
Closed Thread