TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Can't get my report done... - December 28th 2015, 01:16 PM

I have to write a project report but I somehow can't get it done... I don't know, it's not like I don't know how to write it. I now exactly what I need to do and stuff and I have finished the project, but I somehow can't bring myself to write it.
I've procrastinated before, but never like this.
I basicly have two weeks left to write 50 pages, create graphs and proofread all of that and I just can't get started.
I even asked my roommate for help and when she tried to help me by structuring the report I just started to cry and I really don't know what the hell is going on and I really need that report to be done on time, or I will have to postphone my bachelor thesis, will get in trouble at work and basicly my whole life will go to hell and all the self esteem I build up over the last year is currently going to hell too and it scares me. It really does and I just don't know how to get that damn report done....
I mean, I just need a way, anything to get this done. The only idea I have is getting drunk and write it then, because then I definitely won't give a damn, but that's not exactly a solution and I just don't know what to do about that damn report....

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Can't get my report done... - December 28th 2015, 02:23 PM

Actually, your solution is how I got through most of my projects and papers in college. I would drink enough that I stopped focusing on stress but not enough that I couldn't write coherently. I would say break it into smaller pieces. Instead of thinking "I need to get 50 pages done" start with "I'm going to sit and write one paragraph (or whatever amount you can handle)." You still have two weeks, that's good. Make yourself do a little bit every day, drink if you have to in order to get it done. Even if you have to cry over it. But think, getting it done and having it be not that great is still better than not doing it at all. Don't think about the consequences of it being bad or not doing it, just do a little at a time. If you're able to do long stretches of work, set a timer for 20 minutes and then give yourself a 5 minute break doing something you enjoy (that you can do in 5 or 10 minutes, don't go playing video games or watching a 1 hour show) or just stretching/breathing. Eat a snack. Then get back to work. You can do it. Just write, worry about making it sound all pretty once it's done.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Can't get my report done... - December 28th 2015, 09:38 PM

Personally, I'm not going to suggest drinking, I think there's too much of a risk of drinking too much and then you have another problem entirely. I know exactly what you mean, it sounds horrible so you procrastinate and then the longer you put it off the worse it gets, so the longer you wait etc. Actually, if you break it down over two weeks it's only about 4 pages a day, I don't know how long the graphs will take you, but I would do 4 pages a day with graphs where required and have someone else proofread as you go so they aren't overwhelmed by that either. Then have a second person proofread it before you turn it in. Take breaks where required or move on to different assignments in between if you have to, you can do this.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Can't get my report done... - December 29th 2015, 11:58 PM

I use a piece of freeware called "producteev" to organise my projects, set deadlines, priorities, labels and sometimes even pull teamwork together with several people.

If that kind of stuff helps you... you might be interested.

Don't do it though if you think you might get distracted by it too much, spending all your time fiddling with little controls etc. I get it that it can be very easy to get distracted by absolute bullcrap. I couldn't believe myself a week ago after I spent 10 minutes on my own playing with computer mice on my desk like they were toy cars. It was a long day... that's my best excuse.

Drinking... I've done it. I'm certainly no alcoholic. I do it occasionaly. It can get my heart rate up and relieve some stress, but so can lifting weights or doing sit-ups. Whether you want to drink to get your work done or not is up to you... but I don't recommend it if it's some sort of addiction/dependency.

I don't know what kind of report this is... and what method is best. Whether writing it "properly" from start to finish is the right strategy... or drafting 50 pages of what is basically "crap" aimed at organising your thoughts, which you then redraft and rearrange several times to bring it to an acceptable standard.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Re: Can't get my report done... - January 4th 2016, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the great ideas!
They are really good on how to get this done, but part of the problem is, that I can't bring myself to start. It's like I don't even want to get this report done.
It's really like, I don't know, like I don't want to do it, no matter the consequences and now I'm scared of the consequences and still don't want to do it?
i really don't know. Just that I'm kinda starting to run out of time and damn it all... I'm just gonna go cry in a corner and die of my head ache or something...

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

Closed Thread