TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

I WANT A JOB! - January 19th 2016, 08:23 AM

This is a half rant, half call for help.

From August until early Febuary, I'm on an internship at an IT support company 4 minutes walking away from me. (At there as I type) I have to do an internship for my college major, and I got a spot at an internship.

The internship doesn't pay anything, and doesn't do anything for me except for me doing things. Even dirty work. And I am not easlily motivated, so dirty work at an unpaid internship isn't good for my motivation. If I compare my situation with my girlfriend's situation with money, it even motivates me less.

I am 18 years old and I have bills to pay in the future (My parents paid my medical insurance for the year, but I bet that won't be the case next year). I want to do something and get something back in return, as simple as that. But it's not easy for me to find a job, I have ABI (Aquired brain damage) since birth as well, which means that I need extra help with things. But, for a job, I will do my best what my boss asks of me and I am a good learner if given the time. Working in a supermarket is alright with me. (I have worked in a supermarket before as a summer job)

So yeah, complaining here was my last resort, but I really want a job.

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
alostpenguin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Abigail

Re: I WANT A JOB! - January 19th 2016, 01:20 PM

I thought internships should pay :O. Like, students work there, they should be paid! I guess consulting your college for a possible internship in another place could be a starter (they usually have a special department that deals with those things). They can usually assign you for another internship with one of the companies they have partnerships with or they can suggest you about internships that the past students have taken. At least that's what I have been told (I'm going to college next year).

Anyway the point of internships is to prepare you for the real job that you are preparing by going to college, so I think if your job now is not that different than what you do as a summer job then it's not really internship, it's merely part-time job. You'd want to be an intern in a field that has something to do with your major.

(Heh what am I saying, I'm not even in college yet, sorry if I get things wrong, but some of my friends did have a similar experience and they got another internship.) I hope that helped.

Abby

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: I WANT A JOB! - January 19th 2016, 02:12 PM

Not all internships are paid. I guess it depends on the organisation.

You could ask to go to another place for your internship if they pay. Otherwise, try looking at the jobs that particular company offer. You may be able to get a paid job with them, if you do well in your internship. The main point of internships is that you gain experience, so it's not a complete waste of time.

Even though you have ABI and need extra help at times, I'm sure you'll be able to get a paid job at some point. It's also no good comparing yourself to others either. Does your college offer jobs for students? You could look into that. Otherwise, is there a tutor you could talk to, who can help you find a job?

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread