TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LightLili Offline
LightLili
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Just call me Lili :)

Idea for short story - January 22nd 2016, 12:55 AM

I need to write a short story for English class, and normally, I'd be great at it, but I need to write realistic fiction this time. I've never written a fully realistic story in my life. They always have some kind of fantasy element. If I ever have an idea, it's usually a really sad story involving dead relatives or friends, and I could possibly be counseled for that or something because the school takes that very seriously.
So it'd be great if I could get just some general pot suggestions or even some tips on how to come up with an idea.
thanks

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Idea for short story - January 22nd 2016, 01:10 AM

Maybe to come up with various ideas you can listen to different types of music or even TV shows.
Perhaps something about a relationship?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Idea for short story - January 22nd 2016, 02:13 AM

I agree with Dez and was going to bring up TV shows. I think school as a setting may be a place to start because it's realistic yet has room to make up a story. I think of those teenager type novels that has to do with middle school or high school.

You can also think in terms of crime and mystery maybe? If you look up facts, it can sound like a real case. Other ideas would be historical fiction. You can choose a historical event and write a story around that; Especially in like first person (using "I" narrative). Something that sounds like it could have been a true story but it isn't.

Maybe news stories can spark inspiration?

Note: You would know better than I do if your teacher is strict about genres and makes clear distinction between historical fiction and realistic fiction. But I recommend asking just in case!

Closed Thread