TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

How much self study do you do a day? - February 10th 2016, 03:26 PM

For those in college or university, how much time to you spend doing 'self study' a day? For those who don't know, this is time spent studying but not specifically doing homework or assignments. So it would include doing the set readings, doing further readings, taking notes, rewriting your notes etc.

I'm managing about an hour a day, sometimes an hour and a half, but it's really tough. I have a fatigue condition so find studying difficult. But I feel really guilty that I'm not doing enough.

If you do more than that, how do you manage? How do you organise your time? How do you stop from feeling really drained and burnt out?

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: How much self study do you do a day? - February 10th 2016, 09:48 PM

I'm not doing it, and that's why I'm doing so shitty right now.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: How much self study do you do a day? - February 11th 2016, 12:54 AM

When I was in university, I basically didn't bother at all. I was always so mentally exhausted from school work that the last thing I wanted to do was more challenging reading/studying that would be taxing. That said, I didn't do nothing, I used to read 1 or 2 novels a semester and I would watch documentaries, especially ones about wildlife, and knew what was happening in the world.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: How much self study do you do a day? - February 11th 2016, 09:27 AM

When I was in university, I would do about 1-2 hours per night, and depending on how much work I had to do, a few hours on the weekend.

I think how I got through mine was I made use of the long holidays we had. I have a degree in Education Studies and English, where the English side of it, we studied about 2-3 different texts every week. So during the holidays, I would read in advance and make notes as I went along. That way, if I was focussing on other work during term time, I could skim the book or go through my notes to remind myself of the text.

At the start of every year of my degree, the first thing I would do, is make a list of all the dates that my essays were due in. Then as soon as I could start working on them, I would do a bit every night, and would always finish the day before the due date, so I could spend time proofreading it. To stop getting burned out, I would allow extra time for myself, so if I didn't feel like doing much that particular day, I could catch up the following day and not feel too bad about it. My final year was draining though and I did end up being burnt out, but I graduated with a 2:1 so the work paid off, I guess.

At the same time, my friends were the ones who would pull all nighters writing their essays. They were very tired, but it worked for them

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: How much self study do you do a day? - February 11th 2016, 01:08 PM

I'm really bad at self study. I tend to do very little and then cram about a week or two before and do 2+ hours in a go.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: How much self study do you do a day? - February 14th 2016, 02:20 AM

Hey, I'm majoring in Aerospace Engineering. I study 4-5 hours on class days, and about 8 hours when I don't. ~40 hrs/wk of study for 12-15 credit hours. I'd say the amount of time you study shouldn't matter. You should study until you understand the material which varies for everyone. The easiest way I find to study is to go somewhere that isn't home. The library, a learning lab, etc. This way you stay focused, and there are less distractions.

When I was in my freshman year, I studied maybe an hour a night, and not at all on the weekends. It just depends.

As far as your guilt, etc. you need to take a different view on school. Don't view it as a place where you HAVE to study. View it a chance to learn something new. Every day you are learning something you didn't know before. You're expanding your mind. Take pride in that and the studying flows naturally. If you make it a chore, you'll experience guilt. There are days where studying is a chore to me. I stress out, and sometimes even will be brought to tears when I can't comprehend something. However, getting in the mindset where I want to learn so that I learn, rather than to make good marks, has really helped me feel less burnt out, less guilty about studying less, and rather motivated to study more because I want to learn it for myself.

Another thing I find helpful is rotating between subjects. Study something for about 30minutes to an hour, then take 5-10 minute break, and study a new topic for 30min-1hr and repeat.

Lastly, set a deadline when you're done studying and take time to reward yourself for studying. Essentially use the 80/20 rule. 80% study, 20% break, and then have a deadline to finish and reward yourself for your hard work. A method I don't use, but I've heard helps is that every time you hit the 30 min mark, maybe try rewarding yourself with a couple of skittles or something. Using rewards is supposed to help stay motivated. I think the biggest thing you need to avoid is procrastination. Once you start, it's not so bad (at least for me).

And it's typical of engineer majors, but I drink a lot of coffee (4-5 cups/day). I wouldn't get by without it. You may find yourself needing it, too.

Good luck.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Closed Thread