TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
dimpleofbeauty Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Angel

Presentation help please - February 20th 2016, 09:49 AM

I put an application in to be a camp counselor yesterday as i've previously been a camp counselor before and they liked that I have that experience I taught jewellery at that camp.

With this camp as they only have 10 places left they recommended I go to their Assessment Day next Saturday. As it's a first come basis.

On the day I have to do 2 Icebreaker games with other applicants.

Which I have 2 great ideas a name game to get to know one another then a self confidence game.

BUT next bit i'm so stuck on yes i'm applying to teach drama as i've taught drama to stagecoach children.

I've never done a public speaking presentation before. I can't use any computers or projectors either and they said it can be creative. But my mind has gone blank i know i should have millions of ideas wanting to be a drama counselor.

This as to be no more than 5 minutes and I need to talk about my experience teaching drama. What i will teach over 5 days which i've already wrote down that i would teach stuff from getting into character games, facial impressions games to serious acting which i would give each group a topic to make a 5 - 10 minute play about bullying, abuse etc to make them aware of things.

also work on a final production with them would be writing script and practicing everyday.

also How I would teach it which i would teach the way i done with stagecoach. Start off getting the children to stand in a circle and start off with voice warming exercises. Then split the children into groups of 2 or 3 and give them a scenario with/without props just to get their imagination going. I will then practice the production with them to see what needs improving/ changing who needs helps with their lines etc. Some days For improv I will do facial impression games and exploring emotion games.

But i have an idea of what to teach and how to teach it but i'm stuck on making it creative.

Sorry it's long and I appreciate the help

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Presentation help please - February 20th 2016, 11:54 AM

Hey there,

Firstly, I just wanted to say that being a camp counsellor sounds interesting. I want to be a teacher and probably should try to do more things like extra curricula activities

I am wondering what they mean by saying that it can be 'creative'. I often think that presentations without computers and projections are often to see how you are interacting with people (the rapport before between you and the audience, how you engage with them etc), without relying or being distracted by technology. So make sure that you make eye contact, appear warm and enthusiastic, and try not to rely on your notes (if you are allowed to take any notes in).

Making it creative...maybe you could bring in a portfolio of your previous work? Or you could make handouts since 5 minutes is quite a short time and it sounds like you have quite a bit to talk about. Or maybe you could bring in props and demonstrate how you would teach the children, rather than describe. I'm not sure how formal/informal it is, otherwise you could demonstrate it with another applicant or someone else.

You don't need to feel bad about drawing a blank for creativity. We all get that at times, even teachers

I hope this has helped a bit. Best of luck with your presentation

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
dimpleofbeauty Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Angel

Re: Presentation help please - February 20th 2016, 12:22 PM

thank you so much and good luck with your teaching career

Closed Thread