TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Rant in regards to my recent job interviews. - March 7th 2016, 09:45 PM

I have been to a few phone shop interviews and posted my cv in phone shops. I always get rejected and it's unfair! I could never do anything right at school unless it was ICT computing and I'm useless in my current retail role I just want to work with phones and sell them to people as I know I would be good at it. I swear I have applied for every phone shop near me it's fucking ridiculous. I went to one phone shop interview yesterday and he said he will call me the recruitment team and let me know if I have got the job or not. The thing is I know what jobs are like they will probably take longer then 24 hours but still I already feel like I haven't got it. How am I supposed to even go further in life if I can't even find the right job role and i'm getting so annoyed.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Rant in regards to my recent job interviews. - March 8th 2016, 12:34 AM

Trust me, you're not alone. It's really hard for young people to find jobs right now, even at the entry level. Hell, I was told they wouldn't hire me at an upscale restaurant as a waitress because I don't have 2+ years serving in a similar setting. Like, being a waitress is a great job and all, but it's not exactly something you need 2+ years of experience to figure out and excuse me if I didn't intend to be a career waitress after acquiring 2 degrees. A lot of the jobs I have been applying to have included retail and food service jobs and I even get rejected in those ones because its been 5 years since I worked in any of those places simply because of how my other experiences have worked out. It's really hard because it means all of my formal workplace experiences comes out of volunteering OR from baby sitting and being an in-home support worker.

Any how, so my point is that you're not alone. I've been unemployed AND out of school for almost a year now. It's actually incredibly embarrassing for me to admit that because I am intelligent, friendly, hardworking, quick-learning, and I have skills in my field and it's literally not good enough.

A lot of my friends either got miraculously lucky OR they're having similar experiences to myself. I wish experiences like ours were "special" but it seems that being unemployed, underemployed or under paid, etc. It's ridiculous. It's largely because all the old people refuse to retire if you ask me so there simply aren't enough jobs available. In addition, I feel like people have increasingly high standards and expect you to have 3+ years experience, don't want to take the time to train people in a new role etc. Like having some skills apparently isn't enough if they can just as easily get someone with more experience who will take 2 weeks to fully train instead of a month. Plus, connections are such a big deal too, which I know I know I sure as hell don't have a whole ton of.

First of all, I know it's discouraging, but you should look into ways to get more experience. Can you start learning code? Can you perform basic repairs on phones? Maybe you can go on Kijiji and look for old, cheap, used phones that you can but to take apart and play with and learn how to do things with them.

Secondly, I would like to strongly encourage you to network. Many Chamber of Commerce's have events for young pros, you can also go to tech-company events (there are probably local ones, and since it's a phone position you want, focusing on tech might be a good idea). In addition, you can find non-business networking events on websites like EventBrite, which I've found many cool events on like book release parties, networking events, academic talks, fashion events etc.

Hopefully everything will work out for you.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread