TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Depressed and Lacking Motivation - June 27th 2016, 05:49 AM

(Some may not make sense out of context but you may ask me for clarifications through this thread or through PM)

Hi guys,

(Note that this is not my main account).

I am in a bit of a predicament here. I think I am experiencing burn out. I have trouble focusing during olympiads. I was just doing a regular timed 4.5 hr oly. I find myself unable to focus after an hour and shift onto negative thoughts whenever I have no progress. I donít think my heart is in it anymore really. After solving problems, I donít feel like writing the solutions, when I do, I realize there are many details I leave out and have to end up scrapping a large chunk of my useless solution and redoing. ughh. These thoughts come up as well during contests when Iím stuck. This depression has started around a year and half ago for me. I could still focus well last year, but I cantí anymore.

I have done quite poorly in previous IMOs, and this is my last. I want to finish off this final one well, but I canít since I suck. There is a lot of pressure for me to do well, namely parents and college applications. I used to really enjoy math, but now, there is a lot of additional pressure I did not use to have. Iím only doing it now because I have to. I want it over and done with. How do I essentially get rid of these negative thoughts, especially in the middle of the contest?

I have more pressure with another olympiad after IMO as well. Iím sure Iíll fail that as well too.

I think I am experiencing burnout because my statistics have gone down. In my countries TSTs (team selection tests), I had two zeros. Iíve never experienced this before in the more than tens of tests I've taken. Also my combined test scores in our training camp went down from mid-60 percent last year to 58% this year. I am very afraid of failure at the IMO.

Please feel free to pm me.

thanks everyone.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: Depressed and Lacking Motivation - June 27th 2016, 06:55 PM

I don't really know math terms very well so please bear with me

I think it's pretty normal to get burnt out on things that you once loved - a lot of people experience something similar too. Myself included.

It is really frustrating, especially when it can affect school, college applications and your future. Have you thought about taking a step back from it and taking a break? Sometimes a break is such a good idea to just rejuvenate yourself and give you a second to relax and reset in a way.

It might also help to think about why you first started to love math in the first place, and maybe write about those things, like reflecting on them in a journal of some sort?

I hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

Closed Thread