TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Nervousness on Exams - July 6th 2016, 02:40 AM

I have a contest in 5 days and I'm nervous as hell. I don't know how to calm myself down. I can't adequately prepare for it because there's just so many things covered in it. I think my nervousness affects my performance a lot. Any advice?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Skewered Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Nervousness on Exams - July 6th 2016, 03:39 AM

Wow, I think its really cool you participate in math competitions. Though I've never had any experience with this type of competition, I can say something, no matter the final result I look up to you, being an avid mathematician (far fetched aye?), well someone who likes math myself

As for the nervousness, just have fun and try your best. I know this is cliché, but this usually works for me, because do well or not, at the end of the day its something you enjoy that'll only help you improve. And damnit you're only 15, you've got so much learning to do, as do I. Most people our age fear math like the plague, so your proficiency in it is something worth noting and being proud of

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Skewered Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Nervousness on Exams - July 6th 2016, 03:41 AM

Out of curiosity, what topics are being covered?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Nervousness on Exams - July 6th 2016, 07:20 AM

Basically anything under the sun that does not touch college mathematics, even things that haven't been invented yet (and these are prized!)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Nervousness on Exams - July 6th 2016, 06:17 PM

My suggestion is to meditate before studying to reduce stress and increase focus. Then, instead of trying to focus on details, focus on concepts. Typically, probably not in your case, I think people try to focus on specific situations in math and try to recall techniques or algorithms in problem solving. If you can chunk the material in larger, broader, and conceptual topics, it's much less to deal with.

Apart from that I suggest setting aside time to study each day, that is, a designated time. Study in 45minute blocks, and then take 15minute breaks; this will be more effective then sitting down for 6 hours straight. However, I suggest breaking your studying into TIME rather than TOPICS. That way you can say, "I want to study 5 hours today." Then, you just study for 5 hours. You don't worry about the content covered, or how much you got covered, just feel satisfied that you put 5 hours of work into it.

Realistically, I don't think they expect you to know 100% of the material. That's why its a competition. Just focus on what you do know, and strengthen it. Putting things into time blocks, rather than content will surprise you how much you can get done. I am a computer science and aerospace engineer double major. Let me tell you that weekly I encounter the feelings that I'm not going to finish what I need to do. But, when I set apart time to study, rather than focusing on everything I need to get done, it's less daunting, and I nearly always finish what I need to do. It's overwhelming when you look at all the content. But focusing just on and hour at a time is A LOT easier, and WAY less daunting. This is because you know that you can make it through an hour. All you have to do is sit down and study for an hour. Anyone can do that. But looking at all the content you need to cover can seem endless. One step (hour) at a time.

Lastly, what is qualified as college math? This varies from school and colleges considering colleges essentially teach elementary algebra.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Closed Thread