TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Not sure if I should quit my job. - September 4th 2016, 03:03 PM

I hate my job so much. I've been in tears or I've been miserable all day or I've been a slow worker who still doesn't fully know what they're doing and keeps getting confused. It's a high stress and non stop job. Today I called out just because I didn't want to go to work which left them understaffed.

I keep debating leaving my two weeks but I'd feel really bad. I'd leave them understaffed for a long time. Also I get my medication there since it's a pharmacy so wouldn't that be weird?

My APRN even suggested quitting because of how miserable I am.

I really don't know what to do.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Not sure if I should quit my job. - September 4th 2016, 03:53 PM

Hey Dez I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. Deciding to quit is a big deal. If you hate it to the point that you're calling off because you just don't want to go in, that's a sign that it's not the best environment. It depends how long you've been there though. If you feel like you'll get the hang of it with time, then that's a reason to try and stick it out.

This may sound cold of me, but at the end of the day, they are a business, and that's what they would think about first. I'm not saying that you shouldn't care about leaving them short-handed, but it shouldn't be a reason to stay if you really don't want to and if the situation were reversed, that care probably wouldn't be reciprocated. Like if they had to decide whether to keep or fire and employee, what would happen to that person as a result wouldn't be their primary concern. Think of your own well-being first. Plus, if the stress is affecting your ability to do the job, then there might be someone better suited for it, so it would be a win-win.

They should remain professional about it though, so I don't think getting your medications there would be awkward.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Not sure if I should quit my job. - September 4th 2016, 04:09 PM

I've been there since June so about three months now and I'm still barely any better than I was before.
When I called out I got an "are you freaking kidding me" response because they're drowning. As usual. They're always drowning.

What would I even say in a two weeks notice?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Not sure if I should quit my job. - September 4th 2016, 09:51 PM

Hey,

I think being happy in a job is really important, but I know that finding another job can be really tough. I'd say, if you're genuinely unhappy, don't be afraid to look around at other jobs and apply to those you like the look of. There's nothing wrong with that, and if you think you'll be happier, absolutely go for it! However, perhaps there is something you could talk to them about while you do that? I know at my previous job we would have one on one discussions every 6 months, but my manager was always very open with the fact we could talk to him if we were experiencing any issues in between those times. IS there a way you could arrange a meeting with your manager/supervisor to address your concerns? If you're worried with being slow and not really knowing what you're doing, you could perhaps ask for some additional support and training. They may simply have expectations that you're struggling to reach as quickly as they like, and sometimes that happens! But telling them may make that clearer to them, and it might help you when it comes to other jobs in the future too. Asking questions is a must, especially in a job like yours where there must be so much to learn!

If you did want to write your notice, however, make sure you date it and state the last day you will be working there, so that the two weeks can be properly seen. You don't have to say very much, but in my last notice I simply thanked my manager for the help he has given me and explained vaguely my reasons for leaving - but you don't have to give them a reason as far as I'm aware. You can probably find some templates online too, so that may help!

If you need a hand with anything, feel free to shoot me a message and I'm happy to proof read anything or offer some support when needed!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Not sure if I should quit my job. - September 4th 2016, 09:57 PM

Whenever I am at work it is always too busy for me to go off and talk to a manager about anything, so I'd have to go on my own time which isn't possible now that I'm back in school. I am only working weekends, which is also probably a hindrance to getting a new job.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Not sure if I should quit my job. - September 5th 2016, 05:54 PM

I don't think it would be the end of the world if you quit but still get your meds there - I still shop at the last place I quit. No biggie. The main thing is to not burn any bridges, like if you give two weeks and stop showing up then that would be bad and would likely leave negative feelings.

If it's not the right job I think he best thing to do is just be honest. Perhaps you can stay for 15 minutes after a shift to speak to your manager so that you're not having to go out of your way for it cause you're already there. Speaking as a former student, that 15 minutes won't end the world even if any existing anxiety makes you feel like you seriously don't have time for that. You can either express your concerns OR simply quit. You should talk about it though to just say like "I feel like this isn't the right atmosphere, I hope you can find someone else to replace me, etc" your boss probably knows it's not the right place for you if what you say is true so it'll probably be ok.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread