TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tabitha04 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Tabitha

Points: 4,858, Level: 10 Points: 4,858, Level: 10 Points: 4,858, Level: 10

Unable to Work Full-Time - October 4th 2016, 01:41 AM

Currently, I work as a substance abuse counselor, and do it part time (less than 30 hours a week). My goal is to work full-time.

I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome). It gets so bad every month, that I am sick 2-3 days each month. Combined with my major depression, PMDD, and PTSD, much of the time I am struggling. I try not to push myself too hard, and it is good that I am even able to work part-time. When I do work, I try to give the best client care possible. Hopefully in the future, full time work will be an option. I have some guilt about not being able to pay a lot of my expenses.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Points: 26,681, Level: 23 Points: 26,681, Level: 23 Points: 26,681, Level: 23

Re: Unable to Work Full-Time - October 6th 2016, 08:47 PM

Hey Tabitha,

I think you're doing extremely well, given all the different issues you are dealing with. One day I'm sure you will manage to work full-time, there are so many people out there who aren't dealing with any of the issues you are and they have no desire to work. You are doing so well, don't push yourself too hard. Concentrate on yourself and I'm sure soon enough you'll be able to go to work full-time. I know what it is like to suffer with PCOS and depression, so I understand some of the things you are going through and it's difficult to deal with day to day.

I wish you the best of luck and I'm always here if you need a chat.
Paige

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Tabitha04 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Unable to Work Full-Time - October 10th 2016, 02:00 AM

And I'm sick. Again. I called my supervisor and explained the situation to her, and she was very understanding. What's affecting me the most is that I am very skilled at the job, and have a high success rate, but the chronic illness holds me back.

Thank you so much for your support. Sometimes I don't give myself enough credit. PCOS is so hard to manage. Hopefully soon I'll find something that works. Right now I'm following up with the doctor about every 4 weeks.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Unable to Work Full-Time - October 10th 2016, 04:06 PM

Hey Tabitha,

I am glad that your supervisor is understanding and willing to accommodate your needs.
I know what it is like to have depression, PTSD and an additional disability. Having multiple challenges can definitely make working or attending school (in my case) extremely difficult but I have hope that there is a solution/end to the challenges somewhere.
It may not be something that you figure out right away but through trial and error. I've figured out what works for me to accommodate completing my degree and dealing with trauma. It is not necessarily what other people would do but it works for me and slowly I'm getting somewhere.
I know you will find a solution. Keep doing what you are doing; it sounds like you are doing well. Rely on those that you have for support: your doctors, family, friends and us here on TH if you would like.
You are not alone in these challenges.
Take care and feel free to send me a message. I'm glad to help/listen.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Tabitha04 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Unable to Work Full-Time - October 17th 2016, 09:43 PM

Thank you so much for the support. I am currently sick and have been sick the past 8 days. I have completely lost my voice. My supervisor sent me home early today. I really, really want to work. All the sickness makes it difficult. The good news is that my blood tests all came back normal but that also leaves me with a lot of questions.
Closed Thread