TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Language learning and exchange - November 7th 2016, 12:44 AM

Post here if you want to practice a language or help someone practice a language! (Or discuss general language learning stuff, that works too.) I don't think I've seen such a thread anywhere yet so let's have one! A big part of language learning is actually using it, with other people, and the internet is full of opportunities which we might not have in our physical environment.

Aaaaaand I guess I have to start since I'm starting the thread

My native language is Chinese (Mandarin) so I would love to help out anyone who is learning and right now I am learning Norwegian in case anyone on here happens to speak that

If this thread is actually popular then maybe I could keep a list of everyone's requests in the first post but we'll see

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Hiraeth 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Language learning and exchange - November 7th 2016, 11:19 AM

Cool thread!
I don't know what my native language is because that's complicated. But I speak English the best from the other languages I'm familiar with and use it the most often.
That said, I was taught Hebrew in school for several years and though it was mostly bible Hebrew, I was also exposed to modern vernacular and can help if anyone is interested in learning that. I winded up using modern Hebrew to communicate at previous jobs and such.

This may seem like an odd request but Arabic is my cultural language but growing up away from Arabic speaking countries, and the fact that schools and other cultural institutions tried to suppress and limit anyone who spoke Arabic and with the increased survrillance and racial profiling post-911 experienced by the Arab American community, i pretty much only have my father abd my grandmother who still speak Arabic.
Thing is, i dont SPEAK. I understand fluently but my speaking is an embarassment
So, if anyone speaks arabic and/or can read and write.
See, I've tried speaking in front of my family but I must not sound that great because I've got some feedback and lots of judgments and bordering making fun.

I would also like to learn an endangered language so as to keep it alive. (And so no one will notice if I mess up because I'm tired of being judged for my speech problem)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Language learning and exchange - November 7th 2016, 11:46 AM

English is my native language, though even then, I'm not perfect at it

I learnt Welsh in school up until the age of 15, but the weird thing with learning Welsh is that it felt like we never got over the 'basics'....like we learnt how to say simple and compound sentences but that was it.

I learnt French until I was 18, so I know more French than Welsh but my grammar is terrible!

I'm willing to help with any of these languages (if I can).

I want to learn Dutch. I started learning a bit on the Duolingo app, and that seems quite fun. Don't know if I have the time to commit to learning the language in other ways though.

Cool thread

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Language learning and exchange - November 8th 2016, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-the-way View Post
Cool thread!
I don't know what my native language is because that's complicated.
I can relate lol. My relationship with Mandarin is complicated. As a general rule I think that something can be considered a native language when one acquires it from a relatively young age without deliberate effort. Acquiring a language that way versus being exposed to it later in life and/or deliberately "studying" makes for a totally different relationship to a language and I think when we discuss native vs non-native what we really want to know is the nature of our [brain's] relationship to the language, not necessarily whether it was the first one or if we lived in the country where it's officially spoken or any of that. Those tend to be good predictors of whether or not we have a "native" relationship to the language, but in today's world there are increasingly more exceptions.

In terms of endangered languages, my favourite one has got to be Inuktitut. The writing system is just beautiful.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Hiraeth 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Language learning and exchange - November 9th 2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiraeth View Post
I can relate lol. My relationship with Mandarin is complicated. As a general rule I think that something can be considered a native language when one acquires it from a relatively young age without deliberate effort. Acquiring a language that way versus being exposed to it later in life and/or deliberately "studying" makes for a totally different relationship to a language and I think when we discuss native vs non-native what we really want to know is the nature of our [brain's] relationship to the language, not necessarily whether it was the first one or if we lived in the country where it's officially spoken or any of that. Those tend to be good predictors of whether or not we have a "native" relationship to the language, but in today's world there are increasingly more exceptions.

In terms of endangered languages, my favourite one has got to be Inuktitut. The writing system is just beautiful.
I moved a lot. I was born in France so there was French spoken all around me my first year of life. But studies show language begins in the womb and my mother was pregnant with me partially in the USA with English spoken. But my parents spoke Arabic among each other all the time.
Then I lived in WA state for 4 years. But I had a speech delay which was not investigated. So no one knows if I was unable to speak or me not speaking had to do with social anxiety or selective mutism.
There we were in a not so accepting suburb and I don't think my parents spoke Arabic as much but maybe among each other they did.
We then moved to the French speaking part of Canada
There, I started speaking for the first time. I spoke French fluently.
Then my mother got sick.
9 months later we move back to the USA. English again. I am expected to speak English fluently at age 5. I was not given any help to transition (not to mention serious lack of care towards a family who lost their mother/father lost his wife)
At age 6 I began learning Hebrew in school. We also had English language. At home my father spoke Arabic anda little English.
I then struggled to read and was told I have a speech impediment.
I also have social anxiety so sometimes I can't tell why my speech is making no sense. I can go on, but I won't because this isn't what the thread is about. But that's why I have no idea what my native language is.

I will look into Inuktitut. Thank you for the suggestion

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Re: Language learning and exchange - November 12th 2016, 06:04 PM

German is my native language so I can help with that if anyone is interested
I'm currently trying to learn french, though I've been stuck at the basics for two years now (no time to study)

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

Closed Thread