TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
KelseyMarie26 Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kelsey

what did i get myself into - December 3rd 2016, 06:44 PM

So I had the bright idea last month I would go back to school and go from being a agricultural mechanic to a Nurse... So I decide to find my high school diploma for college I get it but find out college also wants transcripts....I was homeschooled from 5th grade till graduation all I recieved was a diploma in 2008 so i email them and ask them if I can take a test or something so they can judge me that way they told me no I need either transcripts or a GED...

So I find out I won't need a diploma or anything to go back to school and become a STNA so I figured I would do that and then decide if I like nursing which my sister and couple friends who are nurses all told me to do anyway. so the point of this post is does anyone know of any good sites or books that can help you in areas of math like algebra ? cause I'm lost

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: what did i get myself into - December 4th 2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyMarie26 View Post
So I had the bright idea last month I would go back to school and go from being a agricultural mechanic to a Nurse... So I decide to find my high school diploma for college I get it but find out college also wants transcripts....I was homeschooled from 5th grade till graduation all I recieved was a diploma in 2008 so i email them and ask them if I can take a test or something so they can judge me that way they told me no I need either transcripts or a GED...

So I find out I won't need a diploma or anything to go back to school and become a STNA so I figured I would do that and then decide if I like nursing which my sister and couple friends who are nurses all told me to do anyway. so the point of this post is does anyone know of any good sites or books that can help you in areas of math like algebra ? cause I'm lost
Hi Kelsey,

First of all, congratulations on returning to school. I hope you do well, and succeed where you'd like to.

So, in terms of math, if you ever need personal help, you can always send me a PM. I am a STEM major with a math minor, so it's something I'm pretty good with. However, I am pretty busy. That said, there are two resources I recommend for math. The first is KhanAcademy. The second is PatrickJMT (click either of the underlined names for the link). Of the two, I HIGHLY recommend PatrickJMT. Anyone who's gone to college will tell you KhanAcademy is a good resource. And I agree. But I feel that KhanAcademy's content isn't as helpful as PatrickJMT. Essentially, KhanAcademy videos would be good to watch BEFORE lecture, and PatrickJMT would be good to watch AFTER lecture. But if your time is limited, I'd only watch PatrickJMT (in fact, when I was taking some upper level prerequisites, I would watch PatrickJMT instead of going to lecture and I got an 'A' in the course).

PatrickJMT essentially gives you a 5-10 minute break down on key concepts, then goes straight into examples so that you can see how to solve them. KhanAcademy spends 10min-1hr explaining concepts with overly simplistic examples (so it has it's place if you're completely lost).

Apart from that I recommend just working examples over and over to drill the ideas into your head. If your teacher assigns you a problem, do the problem before or after it as well. Often times the way text books design problems is that two sequential problems are identical. I would do your homework set on one day, then do the sequential problems the day after. Then review 1 or two problems from that set during the weekend. This way you don't forget the material.

Good luck.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#3 (permalink)) Old
KelseyMarie26 Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kelsey

Re: what did i get myself into - December 5th 2016, 06:06 PM

thanks I might ask you sometime then for help. to be honest I'm completely knew at algebra like I'm good at percentages and division and multiplication but as soon as you add letters I'm at a lost

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: what did i get myself into - December 7th 2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyMarie26 View Post
thanks I might ask you sometime then for help. to be honest I'm completely knew at algebra like I'm good at percentages and division and multiplication but as soon as you add letters I'm at a lost
Kelsey, when I started my degree (several years ago), I placed into developmental math. I worked from the bottom to where I am currently. It gets easier with practice. For me, I found that algebra was, more or less, just the act of trudging through it. It really wasn't until calculus (and some of pre-calculus since pre-calculus is basically analytical algebra) that it all came together for me. Algebra is, more or less, a preparation for real world math. Even as a CS major, we use a LOT of algebra (namely integers, counting -- note that counting is actually the hardest form of any math I've done ironically, and binary since computer systems deal with discontinuous systems), however, once I got through the basic algebra courses, other than the generic manipulation, I never saw any plug-and-chug formulas again. So, I'd say, really, if all you have to do is get through algebra, just work on practicing with what they give you -- as the concepts won't truly be that important later on. Granted, that is if you're truly struggling. By all means, concepts are great, but they aren't a necessity for getting through algebra. They will be if you want to take courses beyond that, however. I do encourage people I know to TRY to understand the concepts. But don't get beat down if you don't. I had to take Elementary Algebra, then Intermediate Algebra, then College Algebra, then Trigonometry, then Pre-Calculus, and finally Calculus I, until I REALLY saw why we were doing what we were doing. The main thing is: get your computational methods down (this includes working with variables/letters -- in fact that's exactly what I mean by computational), and you should be golden.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Closed Thread