TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
milliem Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Help me please! I got a bad(ish) grade - December 11th 2016, 06:19 PM

On my math test, I got an 86%. Its not low enough for me to do a retake. I need to know what I can do to help myself do better for tests. I have math 1st period so I'm not awake and focused some times. My teachers hand our tests back and other people sitting at my table can see the test scores. I'm also sitting at a table with some know it all people. The know it alls will look at my test or ask me what I got. I'm very shy so it's hard for me to tell them to stop laughing when I get a bad grade. And it's not like I can change seats. I don't want to tell the teacher because she is kind of scary. So basically, I need to know some tips on taking tests early in the morning and how to make sure no one sees my bad grade.

Please help!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Help me please! I got a bad(ish) grade - December 11th 2016, 07:02 PM

Your grade isn't necessarily "bad" just because someone else did better, and your scores are none of their business. An 86 is actually pretty good. My teachers always passed tests back upside down so no one else could see, maybe ask her to do that. Other than the "standard" advice of study the night before (not the morning of), go to bed at least a little earlier than usual, and eat breakfast so you're not hungry I don't know if there are other tips for early morning tests. Good luck.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Re: Help me please! I got a bad(ish) grade - December 12th 2016, 05:39 AM

The grade isn't exactly bad. To be more awake in the morning it usually is helpfull to walk a bit outside. Like, if you take a bus to school you could get of a stop earlier and walk the rest of the way if thats possible. Or walk around the building once before entering class.

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Help me please! I got a bad(ish) grade - December 12th 2016, 12:27 PM

Hey there,
An 86 isn't all that bad! My teachers would have us fold the test paper in half and write our names on the back so they'd hand it out to us with no one seeing it if you don't want them to. That said, I was shy too (still am) and kids would guess my grade or try to take the paper away from me just to look at the grade. It was sort of for a different reason-pretty much these kids were struggling in school esp. Math and would tease me a lot for doing well and if sometimes I didn't do as well as usual, they'd tease me then too. The teacher would sometimes reveal who got a 100% and that would be annoying. Like you, my teachers appeared really scary. The thing is, many teachers are scary in front of the classroom but are nice when you talk to them in person. In the end (most) want you to do well and you can explain how the other kids at your table have been making you feel bad about yourself. And it doesn't take much from the teacher to implement a new rule of turning the paper to the back or folding it. If talking to her doesn't help. Perhaps you can put the test into your backpack and look at it later when you get home (easier said than done because the not-knowing builds up)
The thing to remember is that you don't have to show them the grade. This is your grade and your test paper.
You also don't have to go by their standards. Everyone learns at their own pace and when you move up the grade levels, you're less likely to focus on precise numbers and more on the range high 80s low 90s mid 90s. When you think of it in terms of range, you're pretty close to low 90s. That's really not bad. Sounds like you have the gist of the concepts.
I know for me I used to do careless mistakes and had to make sure I have a lot of scratch paper for doing the work. If the teacher said I had to squish in the work in a tiny space, I would most likely get confused mid-problem. Plenty of workspace was one of the things I really needed. So evaluate what made you lose points. Was it the condition of the test or the content, or both?
You mentioned lack of focus because the class is early in the morning. Going to sleep at an earlier time can maybe help. I also like the idea of walking around the school a little.
Best of luck

(#5 (permalink)) Old
virtualprincess Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Help me please! I got a bad(ish) grade - December 15th 2016, 09:01 AM

86% is a good grade so i think you don't have to worry about it. Many things could effect your result, make it under your expectation. Maybe it's due to your sickness, bad mood,... or anything. Try harder next time to prove that you're still the best. Good luck.

Closed Thread