TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
7aerith7 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cass

Points: 4,274, Level: 9 Points: 4,274, Level: 9 Points: 4,274, Level: 9

What to do when at school? - January 20th 2017, 04:16 PM

What should I do when I get the urge to punch myself at school? It's so overwhelming, and I'm basically trapped here. I mean, rubbing an eraser on the arms is an okay feeling but it's really just not as good
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59

Re: What to do when at school? - January 20th 2017, 06:44 PM

Perhaps you can excuse yourself to take a walk to the bathroom or to the water fountain? I am saying this not to tell you that you should harm yourself, but because sometimes taking a short walk can give you a moment to get away from whatever the situation is and take a breather, which may help. If it's not too disruptive to the functioning of the class you can also do something like doodle or write something out in a notebook. Sometimes I'd quietly rip up or put holes in a piece of paper in the notebook just to get things out.

I do urge you to talk to someone like a guidance counselor though when you get these urges. They are mandatory reporters, but they would know how to help and that way you wouldn't be dealing with this alone.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: What to do when at school? - January 21st 2017, 11:10 PM

I really like the ideas Dez mentioned. I used to take walks during class sometimes and I found it helpful; maybe you will as well. In addition to taking walks and quietly doodling or writing things down, maybe you could look into bringing something small to keep in your hands? Something like a worry stone or a stress ball could help you work through your urges to self-harm.

I hope you find something that works for you!

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount16

Edit avatar

Re: What to do when at school? - January 25th 2017, 10:24 PM

Hi there!

I'm sorry you deal with these urges. Dez and Cassado has great ideas. Taking a walk, doodling in a notebook and having a stress ball could help a lot.

Is there a friend close by usually, that you can talk to? It may help to hold a conversation with someone. When at school and outside of school, I encourage you to reach out to someone. The support could help a lot and, you shouldn't have to struggle with this alone, you know?

If you have your phone with you then you could watch videos on YouTube between class or play a game. Simple games such as Solitaire or a puzzle game could distract you from urges between classes if there's enough time. You can write a poem or write any feelings/thoughts on your mind. Remind yourself you can beat the urge - take it an hour at a time. You've got this.

Take care and stay strong. You can do this! I hope you find things that work to help you resist urges. PM me if you need anything.
Closed Thread