TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Malcharion Offline
Here's to the fools who dream
Welcome me, I'm new!

Should I quit orchestra? - March 5th 2017, 09:20 PM

I've only recently realized this, but the only reason I ever joined was because my friends did, and I've just been telling myself that I enjoy it ever since. I would like to quit, and it's probably better if I do so, but I can't help but feel that colleges will think I can't commit if I stop playing halfway through. Furthermore, and I've fallen into the sunk costs fallacy here, I don't want to waste all those years and thousands of dollars spent on learning violin/viola. I've improved quite a lot recently, and I really feel that I can get into All-State or YPSO, a prestigious local group. Neither of those are guarantees, though, and I'm not sure the risk is worth the investment. At this point, I'm really in orchestra to impress colleges, and I'll never be as good as the people who are truly passionate about their instrument. Still, I can't help but wonder about what I could accomplish if I stayed. Honestly, writing this all out has pretty much convinced me I ought to quit, regardless of what my parents say.

What news from the West, O wandering wind, do you
bring to me tonight?
Have you seen Boromir the Tall by moon or by starlight?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: Should I quit orchestra? - March 5th 2017, 10:10 PM

Hey, orchestra can be fun if you are really passionate about playing an instrument, but if there is no passion in what you're doing then I completely agree you shouldn't be doing it, especially if it's just to impress colleges. Unless it's a musical college or course, most of them wouldn't care if you stopped playing. I do orchestra because I love doing it, however I also know several people who joined just because of friends or parents who ended up leaving because they just didn't enjoy it. If you don't like it, it just adds extra stress on, which we definitely don't want.

Ultimately the decision is yours and if you choose not to continue doing orchestra, maybe you could sit down with your parents and explain you don't want to do it anymore? Giving reasons for that is obviously a good idea as well if they need convincing to let you stop. Most places require parent permission to take you out of a program, so you will most likely have to get them to agree, but you do still have a say in the matter and you should tell them you don't want to continue if that's what you decide. You are also able to practice your instrument outside of a program and just in your own time, google becomes your best friend at that point when you need pointers on how to play certain notes. It's obviously easier with a teacher, but there are ways around that if you wanted to continue learning an instrument but not in the orchestra.

If you decide to continue, that's also okay, as long as it's your decision and not your parents or friends choice for you.

Either way, I hope it all works out for you.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

Closed Thread